Anyone run zeovit

TheRealChrisBrown

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
I've contemplated it for the longest time, but never took the plunge. If you get serious you should look into the Vibe by Avast Marine, it does the agitation of the media for you.....

JuanGutz

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Haven't look at the vibe but you could use the zeovit media and vibe would agitate it for you every day? That's pretty awesome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheRealChrisBrown

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
JuanGutz;n648783 said:
Haven't look at the vibe but you could use the zeovit media and vibe would agitate it for you every day? That's pretty awesome.
Yep! It's perfect for someone like me who can't remember if I dosed or did something, just hook the Vibe up to an Apex or a timer and have it go off twice a day. Although I've read complaints that it is rather noisy, but it only runs for a short period of time, like 20-30 seconds. So just make those 20-30 seconds when you are at work or something. There was a used Vibe on CL in Broomfield (https://denver.craigslist.org/for/5527262010.html) I contacted them about it and they were not flexible with their price and I am always after the bargain!

TheRealChrisBrown

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
So the thing that keeps me from going full zeo, is the daily additives. I can do a pretty good job of doing something once a week, but that daily stuff wears me down after a while. So that means I'd likely need to automate it, which add a lot of expense in dosing pumps and whatever. I don't know, I see some of the successful zeo tanks and I'm all like "I want that" but for every awesome zeo tank there is another awesome tank for somebody who does it this way or that way. I'm stuck on the fence on this one, and not a lot of MASC people are into it so it's hard to ask a bunch of questions about it without going to the national boards. If you end up doing it, I'll be following along with much curiosity!

Sctip

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
Now you have me researching it.

Ask and you may find out, don't ask and you will never know.

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
If you want a ultra low nutrient system, a zeo is the way to go. It makes for nice clean pristine systems, but imo ULN doesn't always equate to beautiful healthy and colorful corals. The ultra low nutrient system sacrifices a lot of the very nutrients that corals thrive on. You can remove them and your system will look clean and pretty but the corals will generally be muted in colors. They will grow but do they thrive? I think its debatable.

Dr.DiSilicate

Great White Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
What issues are you having that you are trying to solve? It seems to me that we have a myriad of great tanks around that don't need the constant attention and tweaking that a zeovit tank does. It seems like an expensive pita that can give great results of administered perfectly or... Maybe disaster is not. I have never tried a full blown system but have tinkered with some of the supplements and can say that they, the stuff I tried, did what they say. They do it if you use them every day and they are costly. I still do use the amino supplement with good results. Coral snow worked well too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Most gains from Zeovit, or any additive really, are often coupled tightly with a rededication to the hobby or an increased awareness to requirements and care and thus other changes in routine. When the further enlightened people quit Zeovit, or other additives, they don't see the gain diminish.

Cake_Boss

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
Most gains from Zeovit, or any additive really, are often coupled tightly with a rededication to the hobby or an increased awareness to requirements and care and thus other changes in routine. When the further enlightened people quit Zeovit, or other additives, they don't see the gain diminish.
Up from the dead this thread comes.

JDA, would you then recommend this method for an increased awareness for care/husbandry and then quit it?

Sent from my iPhone using MASC mobile app

JuanGutz

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Up from the dead this thread comes.

JDA, would you then recommend this method for an increased awareness for care/husbandry and then quit it?

I wouldn’t recommend it for that but to help cycle the tank faster and introduce fish and corals and then after a few months have the ability to get rid of it.

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
ZeoVit can be awesome, but invest 100% and don't just do parts and pieces of it. If you need something like this be more dedicated, then it probably will wane too at some point.

flagg37

Anthias
M.A.S.C Club Member
My opinion, having looked into it but never trying it, is that it is very regimented and feels like the system is forcing something that should be happening naturally.

There’s another Reefer I know on a different forum that loves it and gets great results but I personally couldn’t do it. One reason is that I travel too much and couldn’t trust a neighbor to do everything. The other Reefer shared his dosing schedule with us once and even though it only takes him a couple moments a day, it was quite complex.

I’m not one to shy away from expensive gear or systems, I’d just want them to make my life easier not harder.

Cake_Boss

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
Well guys I’m taking the plunge, going in 100%. Just waiting on a few items to arrive and I’ll start the process. Gotta get the build thread going to document everything. I travel as well, I’m relying on dosers to keep up while I’m gone. I’ve been reading up over on the ZeoVit forums and I think the dosing just seems intense because I haven’t done it yet. Stay tuned

JuanGutz

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Well guys I’m taking the plunge, going in 100%. Just waiting on a few items to arrive and I’ll start the process. Gotta get the build thread going to document everything. I travel as well, I’m relying on dosers to keep up while I’m gone. I’ve been reading up over on the ZeoVit forums and I think the dosing just seems intense because I haven’t done it yet. Stay tuned

Once the tank is cycled and you’ve got corals in the tank I have some of the slow release tabs for sale. Amino acids and so on.