anyone useing this?

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
Santa Monica keeps a thread on here of lots of DIY types of scrubbers, and a similar floating one is in the thread. I am planning on building one like that for my tank too. They can be fairly inexpensive to build your own though, and I think the price on that one is pretty outrageous. Scrubbers in general though are some of the most effective ways to export excess nutrients and keep nuisance algae from growing in the tank. In fact they can be so effective that even macro algae wont be able to grow in your tank or fuge, so many people end up removing their fuge altogether

rjl45

Clown Fish
I haven't used the floating scrubber, but I built an upflow algae scrubber for my nano. I have had great results and very happy with how it works. In about 3 months, the scrubber completely eliminated my nitrate and phosphate problem. If interested, I posted a weekly update for the first 3 months of my scrubber. I will run a ATS on any system I have.
http://www.marinecolorado.org/showthread.php?t=637061

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk

FOURSTARS

Amphipod
M.A.S.C Club Member
The only filtration I use on my 150 is an algae turf scrubber. Works great once you get dialed in. Also check out Turbos Aquatics, he just came out with his four revision and looks sweet!

SynDen;n656671 said:
Santa Monica keeps a thread on here of lots of DIY types of scrubbers, and a similar floating one is in the thread. I am planning on building one like that for my tank too. They can be fairly inexpensive to build your own though, and I think the price on that one is pretty outrageous. Scrubbers in general though are some of the most effective ways to export excess nutrients and keep nuisance algae from growing in the tank. In fact they can be so effective that even macro algae wont be able to grow in your tank or fuge, so many people end up removing their fuge altogether
they are pricey. for my tank I need to use the Surf8 which costs 1000$ without the pump, so they are pricey. but in the long run it will pay off. I use 1 gallon of GFO pro every month which costs 130$. I'm thinking if I use the Algae scrubber then I can use to regular GFO which would be cheaper.

rjl45;n656677 said:
I haven't used the floating scrubber, but I built an upflow algae scrubber for my nano. I have had great results and very happy with how it works. In about 3 months, the scrubber completely eliminated my nitrate and phosphate problem. If interested, I posted a weekly update for the first 3 months of my scrubber. I will run a ATS on any system I have.
http://www.marinecolorado.org/showthread.php?t=637061

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk
the link is not working.

FOURSTARS;n656689 said:
The only filtration I use on my 150 is an algae turf scrubber. Works great once you get dialed in. Also check out Turbos Aquatics, he just came out with his four revision and looks sweet!
I will check it out, thanks. DO you have pictures of our setup?

Fitz19d

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
I'm probably pulling the trigger on a Turbo aquatics scrubber. I hate DIY. That said, I think those little hang on boxes are kinda hinky, I definitely prefer waterfall types. Wanted to experiment with using a extra small frag tank running just a thin film of water across surface at an angle before the overflow in "floor" drains it.

Fitz19d;n656701 said:
I'm probably pulling the trigger on a Turbo aquatics scrubber. I hate DIY. That said, I think those little hang on boxes are kinda hinky, I definitely prefer waterfall types. Wanted to experiment with using a extra small frag tank running just a thin film of water across surface at an angle before the overflow in "floor" drains it.
I do like there set up but I cant find the demensions on L8 and L6

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
Huskyguy;n656698 said:
they are pricey. for my tank I need to use the Surf8 which costs 1000$ without the pump, so they are pricey. but in the long run it will pay off. I use 1 gallon of GFO pro every month which costs 130$. I'm thinking if I use the Algae scrubber then I can use to regular GFO which would be cheaper.
With the scrubber, you won't even need the gfo after a couple months

I was sold until someone said $1000. Dont get me wrong, its nice but it looks like a large scale production of what Joey (King of DIY) makes for $30.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

just_tim;n656716 said:
I was sold until someone said $1000. Dont get me wrong, its nice but it looks like a large scale production of what Joey (King of DIY) makes for $30.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk
anything around that size is running 1000$. I love the surf8 because it will fit perfect in the last chamber at my sump