Anyone using a Roku?

Crit21

Butterfly Fish
I've got a Roku Internet TV box. It has the ability to view YouTube videos, including selecting a playlist and setting them up to play one after the other. So I found a couple dozen YouTube videos of some really great SPS tanks and set them up to play in a continuous loop. It's so cool to watch all of these amazing tanks on a 52" HDTV. I have to mute the TV because a few of them have some really obnoxious music playing, but I just pop a CD in the stereo.

Does anyone else have a Roku and do this?

dv3

Beluga
M.A.S.C Club Member
i love my roku .....you can get a private channel list too and pick up other channels

dv3

Beluga
M.A.S.C Club Member
ya that is some of them ...join the yahoo group for roku and they keep list you can find lists everywhere though just not always current

Crit21

Butterfly Fish
Getting back on track, the point of the thread was to point out the capability to find and play the YouTube reef tank videos. It looks like DailyMotion may be a good private channel too. They have a lot of reef-related vids too.

Most people wouldn't be interested in about 99% of the ither private channels.

Crit21

Butterfly Fish
So yesterday I happened to search Craigslist and found a brand new Roku 2 XS with a blue tooth remote that also works like a Wii remote, all for $60 (negotiated price). The best part is the USB port. Since RateRix doesn't seem to allow you to find and play lengthy YouTube videos, I capture them in MPEG 4 format using a free site like Keepvid.com, then transfer them to my USB flash drive (16GB thumb drive was $18 at Wally World). A 1 hour 1080i file is only 2.6 GB, so I can store about 3 1/2 hours of high def video on one 16GB thumb drive. I played a half hour video tonight and it was fantastic on a 52" high def TV. It's so much more interesting than those fireplace DVDs, lol.