Apex Junk?!?

ayaws

Angel Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Woohoo! Welcome to the sickness.

I am a huge apex fan and think it's the only way I've been this successful so far.

My gear:
Neptune Apex Gold
PM1 (Lap Grade PH + Temp)
PM2 (ORP + conductivity)
EB8
EB4
Neptune DOS (Cal/Alk)
Neptune LSM (Lunar Sim Module)
PM1 (Temp in DT)

To add:
Another Neptune DOS for water changes
Another Neptune DOS for dosing Mag/ammino acids
Neptune AFS in case I ever get my fish to eat flakes/pellets
Neptune WXM for the Ecotech stuff

They'll get at least another grand out of me. Big thanks to Zombie for some custom programming help.

While I have a captive audience, let me ask this question. I have a reef octopus protein skimmer waste collector. http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/reef-octopus-6-waste-collector-with-auto-shut-off.html
It has its own float in order to shut the skimmer off and prevent the waste from staining my wife's carpet. Can't I use a breakout box and connect a float switch inside the connector to avoid having to use the plug that came with the unit? The previous owner didn't do a good job of keeping it clean and I am afraid that it is going to fail due to corrosion.

ayaws

Angel Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Yes, absolutely. That's a super easy program to write. You can even have it email/text you if/when that happens.

Excellent, that is what I was hoping for. Now I have to figure out if I can't strip the wires that are connected to the current float switch, or if I have to buy a new float switch and try to get it to fit in the housing.

Probes in the display tank, or in the sump? I bought the magnetic probe holder to keep them are the right level. I don't have ATO going on my sump right now so I am fluctuating water in my sump with evaporation. That makes me think the tank is a better place for the probes.

Any quick programs for my skimmer so that it has a delay of say three minutes after the return pump engages before it will turn on to prevent it from overflowing?

zombie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
19TheSaint75;344229 said:
Any quick programs for my skimmer so that it has a delay of say three minutes after the return pump engages before it will turn on to prevent it from overflowing?
Fallback ON
Set ON
If Outlet (return pump outlet name) = OFF Then OFF
Defer 003:00 Then ON

I bought one of these to connect my RW to my Apex http://www.amazon.com/Jebao-Neptune-Systems-Controller-Linkage/dp/B00P6JJKF6

It is hooked up and I can turn the pump on and off. My goal is to have the pump run for about 2 minutes every hour to circulate water within the tank. I would like for it run at 50% power when it does this so that it doesn't blow sand everywhere. I don't want to create big waves because I am afraid they will top the rim of the tank. I am just trying to avoid dead spots in the tank. Is there an easy way to accomplish this?

FishTV

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
Did it come with the cord to hook up to the variable speed port ( should look similar to a phone jack plug). If you want to eliminate dead spots, I would run it constantly, even if it has to run at a lower speed. It shouldn't create any type of wave motion if your just running at a constant speed.

zombie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
FishTV;344253 said:
Did it come with the cord to hook up to the variable speed port
That model used standard ethernet cable. Who doesnt have that lying around.

I used an ethernet cable to connect it to the V1/V2 port of the Apex. I would be good with running it continuously at a very reduced speed. The RW20 is pretty strong, even in a six foot tank. If it runs continuously, I'd like it to turn off for 20 minutes during feeding.

zombie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
19TheSaint75;344244 said:
I bought one of these to connect my RW to my Apex http://www.amazon.com/Jebao-Neptune-Systems-Controller-Linkage/dp/B00P6JJKF6

It is hooked up and I can turn the pump on and off. My goal is to have the pump run for about 2 minutes every hour to circulate water within the tank. I would like for it run at 50% power when it does this so that it doesn't blow sand everywhere. I don't want to create big waves because I am afraid they will top the rim of the tank. I am just trying to avoid dead spots in the tank. Is there an easy way to accomplish this?
I would suggest a long pulse over that. Something like this should work pretty well.

ShortPulL (profile)
Synchronize: disabled
Divide by ten: disabled
Initial Off time: 0
On time: 5
Off time: 10
Min intensity: 0
Max intensity: 40

ShortPulR (profile)
Synchronize: enabled
Initial off time: 5
On time: 5
Off time: 5
Max intensity: 40

LongPulL (profile)
Synchronize: disabled
Initial Off time: 0
On time: 10
Off time: 50
Max intensity: 30

LongPulR (profile)
Synchronize: enabled
Initial off time: 30
On time: 10
Off time: 20
Max intensity: 30

LeftRW20 (varspd outlet)
Fallback OFF
Set ShortPulL
If Outlet Lights = OFF Then LongPulL

RightRW20 (varspd outlet)
Fallback OFF
Set ShortPulR
If Outlet Lights = OFF Then LongPulR

I used the wizard to set a basic program that runs the pump at 25%. This seems to be good for flow without overpowering the news and blowing debris everywhere. I also added a feed line in there so that I can feed without the pump running:

Fallback ON
tdata 00:00:00,0,0,25,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0
tdata 07:01:00,0,0,25,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0
tdata 10:05:00,0,0,25,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0
tdata 16:34:00,0,0,25,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0
tdata 21:29:00,0,0,25,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0
tdata 23:59:00,0,0,23,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0
If FeedA 015 Then OFF

Now I want to add a feed line to my skimmer, UV sterilizer, and and pump to the sterilizer to keep those off for an hour when I want to add copepods for the mandarin I have.

Thanks again for everyone's help. As stated before, once I got it connected, the fun did start.

zombie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
That code runs left for 5 seconds, right for 5 seconds, then both off for 5 seconds while lights are on. At night, it runs left for 10 seconds, both off 20 seconds, right for 10 seconds, then both off for 20 seconds.

ayaws

Angel Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
What you can do with the apex systems is pretty much unlimited. Zombie is by far and away the most helpful programming resource out here! I'm not controlling powerheads (yet) with it but we have done some things around temp control -- like making sure heaters don't run when the halides are on (assuming the temp is over a certain mark) and that they chiller doesn't run when the heaters are on (and vice versa.) The savings there might be marginal but I think it was worth the effort. Also, building in fail safe mechanisms (shut off the lights if they get too warm in case of chiller failure) is awesome as well.

I think Apex (and others) limit your chances at a tank crash in some of the more mechanical circumstances.