Apex ph probe

Balz3352

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
So got Christmas presents early from the girl and she got me a pm1 and a ph probe. Woo hoo!

Question. I guess I wasn't specific enough when asking for calibration solution and she got me 4.01 and 7.01. Is it completely necessary to have the 10.01 instead of the 4? Will it mess things up or will it be okay?

What do you guys think buy the 10? Or will the 4 work..

Walter White

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
You want to calibrate in the range the you wish to measure so in this case yes you need the 7 and 10. Most hydroponic stores in my area carry 4, 7, and 10 sometimes they don't carry the 10 but I have had good luck. Not sure where you are located but I have some I can give you if you want to come get it. I'm in Westminster.

Walter White

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
That said I don't even care about pH so it's not that big a deal if you are just looking for sudden changes. However if you want the actual value or plan on controlling anything with that proble. I would recommend finding a packet of the 10.

Munch

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I have an 10 solution pack, heading to The Coral Shop at noon... So I'll be in the area if you wanna meet.

Text me as I'm leaving in 15 min, will have it with me.

Last edited by a moderator:

zombie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
The 4.01 and 7.01 can get you close until you can get your hands in some 10.01, but you should always use the range that your reading will be in. Ebay is your best bet, I have found 25 packs of single use packets for less than $20.

SkyShark

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
zombie;336185 said:
The 4.01 and 7.01 can get you close until you can get your hands in some 10.01, but you should always use the range that your reading will be in. Ebay is your best bet, I have found 25 packs of single use packets for less than $20.
How often are you calibrating?

zombie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Once a month with 4 and 7 for my reactor probe and once a month with 7 and 10 for the pank probe. The 25 packs end up being a 2 year supply.

zombie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
You could also take one of mine if you want. That would give you a month or so with a working probe while you wait for ones you order online to show up.

Side note in case you dont already know this. ALWAYS calibrate your pH from the display. The web interface calibration doesnt always update the values and will end up wasting a packet of fluid.