Apex power problem.

Balz3352

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
So I came home from work and my tank lights were off. Weird because I have moonlights go over to the tank and my apex jr display is lighted but black. I can't access it on fusion. I had to unplug the unit to reset it.
Luckily pumps stayed on so water stayed circulating. But once everything came on my tank was cold.... 73.6 usually keep it 77-78 brr...
Ora goby looks bad and my clowns look delirious.

Did a water change. (was going to do one in the morning anyway) I can't imagine it being anything but Temp related since pumps were still on.

Weird thing is warning email came after I reset the unit that there was a power failure and my tank has been offline since 8:30 (0300 now).

Any way to have apex send warning email before it completely looses power? (probably a stupid question) just worries me if this happened beginning of shift and tank with no heater for 12+ hrs.

Advice?

deboy69

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Apex can only send an email if it can comminicate. So it won't send one until it powers back on. Sign up for reeftonics. They communicate or ping your controller and if doesn't answer back they send you an email letting you know they can't access your controller.

FishTV

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
You can set up a upc, but it sounds like there was an actual glitch with your unit, not the power. For an actual power failure you would have to have both you apex, and all internet devices (dsl, router, and switches) on a upc, and will really only run long enough to get the email alarm sent out. (Zombie will have to chime in on how to actually set this up, but I have read its possible)
For a apex glitch like yours, you probably had your heater set to fallback OFF, and your pumps to fallback ON. If you have a back up heater, or your main heater has a temp controller (set to about 1* above your preferred set point), your heater would have stayed on as well, but run 1* warmer.
Thats what the fallback statement is for..... if the outlets loose communication with the head unit, they go to the fallback statement.

Skrappy

Cleaner Shrimp
M.A.S.C Club Member
Haven't heard of it before but I like deboy69's idea. You can also get a battery backup for your apex and modem.

zombie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
It should have rebooted fine after a power outage. I suspect your bootloader. If you arent on the most recent firmware, update to that and then update your bootloader from the display (system -> bootloader update).

If you want notification that power is out, you would have to have an EB4 or EB8 to detect it sinve there isnt an aux power supply in the jr.

zombie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Balz3352;333949 said:
I'm running 4.32j 7a14... How do I check bootloader?
As long as you have a display, just update it. The bootloader version can only be checked over telnet, and i dont remember the command to show it. If you dont have a display, you have to have support telnet into your controller to update it.

Last edited by a moderator:

zombie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Balz3352;333950 said:
What code would I write for the eb4 to detect
Plug the jr into a UPS as well as your home network. In your email alarm, add the line below where X is the aquabus address of the EB4

If Power EB4_X 000 Then ON.

In addition, add the line

If Power EB4_X 000 Then OFF

To any non critical equipment connected to the jr. That will give you the maximum of time that power can be maintained with the UPS.