APEX Total failure

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
So today I went into the library to check on the 180 and the lights were not on and I immediately became concerned. I checked all of the connections both EB8s are on and have power. The only outlets that are active are the ones that were on whenever this occurred. I have unplugged all of the connections and let the system set before plugging everything back in and the main unit is not turning on. The status light is not on and the status lights on all of the accessories are blinking. Any ideas of what could be going on or what can be done to fix it.

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
Everything is fine. The outlets that were on when the base unit went out are still on but there is no power to the base unit.

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
Thanks for asking that though. I have to plug the heater into another outlet now!

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
I have some spare Rancos if you need to borrow something for a while. I am of no help on an apex since I don't use them.

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
Love technology when it is working for us. This is the first issue I have ever had so I am not really complaining. Just trying to prepare to go backwards since I cannot afford to replace it and my PTA budget is gone for the year!

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
Have you tried hooking the base unit to the internet via hard wire and see if it needs an update or if its just not responding?

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
So Neptune got back to me and said to plug a 12V 500mA power adapter into the power socket and everything reset and came back on. I don't know why that fixed it but it's working again!

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
All of the outlets on the EB8s that were on remained on. Ones that came on/off based upon the controller were either on/off depending what they were set to when the base unit lost power. The power adapter has returned power to the base unit and now all of the outlets are being controlled again.

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Thanks for the info. So if you would have had a dosing pump or uncontrolled heater plugged into one of those outlets, your tank could have crashed? I am so glad that you didn't.

It turns out that I do have a few extra Rancos if you want something more reliable to control your heaters long-term.

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
I'll have to check the settings. I'm not sure what my defaults are set to. My heaters still have their own thermostats so I wouldn't have cooked my tank. Since I only have gorgonians I don't dose or have a calcium reactor. The tank is pretty safe.

I will check the defaults though.

That's pretty frightening...I'm looking to get myself an Apex controller, but have read some other reports of the EB8 failing, but wondering if it's just a small number of cases. Any ideas why the 12v 500ma power adapter would get it working again?

My jr stop working I had to send it back they don't know what's going on with it. I only had it for 2 weeks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
I'm guessing that there was a power surge and it shorted out the USB that was connecting the base unit to the EB8 that was delivering power.