Are you a DIY'er? What diy project have you been working on?

FishTV;335285 said:
I think Joanne's just calls it there craft felt. It's about the same density as the 200 micron I used to order, but way cheaper.
Cool thanks. I was thinking of using some sort of polyester fabric. How long have you been doing this?

FishTV

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
MuralReef;335325 said:
That's impressive! Do you reuse them at all or one and done?
I usually wash them, they're cheap enough to toss though. After about 3 washings, they start to clog faster. I do truly hate washing filter socks though!!!

FishTV

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
charleshardy5;335371 said:
Cool thanks. I was thinking of using some sort of polyester fabric. How long have you been doing this?
Years.. It is a polyester felt, sold by the yard in 72" widths

Mermaid Gardens

Anthias
M.A.S.C Club Member
Frag rack.

FishTV;335285 said:
I think Joanne's just calls it there craft felt. It's about the same density as the 200 micron I used to order, but way cheaper.
Well there's a good idea. I can sew... I wish I'd done that instead of buying one from the store.

FishTV

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
Chad was asking me how I hang them. I picked up this tip on RC I think. I use the 4" embroidery hoops from Joanne's, or Michales, re drill and tap the plastic for a nylon screw or bolt, and then you can use a regular filter sock holder. If you look closely, I make a relief cut in the seam of the sock at the top for an overflow (less splashing)

projectx

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
i am currently building a custom desk. I built my stand and canopy, I think the finished product is in my gallery.

​I'll post some picts of the desk

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
Not really a DIY but making the boxes got me thinking. The best coralline algae scraper is scrap acrylic!

FishTV

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
Magnetic stirrer:

Handy for mixing two part, magnesium, etc.

Basically a computer fan, couple magnets, fan speed controller, and a 12v transformer.

hooked

Goby
M.A.S.C Club Member
S.C.M.A.S BOD
DIY Small Critter Trap

I have a pistol shrimp in my tank that has turned my reef into a terraced landscape. It has relocated my sand bed to one side. It has a pile of shells of what is left of my clean up crew lining it's lair. It has killed my goby, cleaner shrimp, harlequin shrimp and caused severe damage to one of my tangs that eventually died. So since today is cold and I didn't have much to do. I decided to build a trap and go after the Dang thing.
Here are a few pics of my build:

The dimensions are 2 1/2"x2 1/4"x6 1/4"

I'll let you know how it works.....

Thanks for looking.