Getting Started

cubuffs

Cleaner Shrimp
Hello!!!

I got my 60 gallon cube plumbed and now it has been filled. Now, I am stuck...

One of the pipes that is the drain has a ball valve attachment on it. The valve is closed and it won't open with my strength. Does anyone have a suggestion as to how to wiggle it open?

Once I get it opened, I have a feeling that the pumps will be pretty loud. Does anyone have a suggestion as to what to place under the pumps to prevent excess noise and vibrations?

Finally, what else can I do besides open the valves and turn on the pumps? Do I need to open the top pvc to allow air for a siphon?

Thanks so much!

Lmmchops

Cleaner Shrimp
M.A.S.C Club Member
Idk about the ball valve but you search silicone pot trivet and you can put one of those under the pump to help with vibration and is the pump hard plumbed all the way?

Sent from my SM-G892A using MASC mobile app

zombie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
I would repipe it and remove the ball valve altogether. Unless you have an emergency drain, ball and gate valves have no place in a drain since it's just one more thing that can fail and cause a tank overflow on your nice floors.

Sent from my SM-G965U using MASC mobile app

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
So looking at the bottom plumbing, I think you are going to want to put in some unions, so that you can take the pipes apart easily. I would then replace that ball valve. Those are notorious for sticking and you need considerable force to break them loose, once they do. If you try putting that much force on the pipe while its hanging like that you will likely break something else first. Save yourself the trouble and use a better quality true union. Something like this https://www.supplyhouse.com/Red-Flag-Products-1407GST-3-4-Gray-PVC-True-Union-Ball-Valve
Or You can also do a few regular unions, and a better quality valve. Like these https://www.supplyhouse.com/PVC-Schedule-40-Unions-15277000 + https://www.amazon.com/Spears-Valve-Non-Rising-Buna-N-Female/dp/B00ALMD94Q

BRS has a decent selection on valves too https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/pumps-plumbing/plumbing/valves.html

TheRealChrisBrown

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
When trying to turn the ball valve on the drain do you have all of the pumps off? I always feel like it's way harder to turn them when flow is on.

My draining system has 3 pipes, one of them has a valve on it to fine tune the drainage rate to prevent water from free falling through the pipe which is noisy...perhaps that's why it is there? The other 2 drain lines have no valve of any kind so when they are needed can be run wide open.

Andrew_bram

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
You can try a strap wrench but any more force may break something else. I agree I would replace now instead of in tank emergency.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

cubuffs

Cleaner Shrimp
I replaced the ball valve as mentioned. What a difference! I also got the mat for vibrations.

I turned on the pumps and my return pump was working great, the skimmer was working, but the drain wasn't siphoning. Is there a trick to get the tank to drain or am I just impatient and nervous about flooding? (my refrigerator caused $100K worth of damage in December 2017 and a six month remodel from hell).

The drain is a pvc pipe that looks like an upside down "J".

Thank you!

It's always best to run the tank for a few days in the garage or on the back porch with tap water until you work out the bugs. And yes there should be a small air hole drilled at the highest point of the drain to allow air intake. Unless you are running a full siphon setup then you need an emergency drain.

zombie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
I replaced the ball valve as mentioned. What a difference! I also got the mat for vibrations.

I turned on the pumps and my return pump was working great, the skimmer was working, but the drain wasn't siphoning. Is there a trick to get the tank to drain or am I just impatient and nervous about flooding? (my refrigerator caused $100K worth of damage in December 2017 and a six month remodel from hell).

The drain is a pvc pipe that looks like an upside down "J".

Thank you!
Make sure there is either a hole drilled in the top (smaller hole for faster flow) or if there is a screw in insert of some kind, you loosen it to get air in from the top.

Sent from my SM-G965U using MASC mobile app