Searching for "low tech" skimmer shut off....

TheRealChrisBrown

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
I am experimenting with eliminating my Apex. One aspect I haven't been able to figure out is how to shut off the skimmer pump if the remote collection cup overflows? I only get these overflows once or twice a year, but I'd like to be able to prevent it. On my Apex I had a float switch set to the breakout box that would shut the skimmer pump off.

I found a version from Avast Marine that looks like it might work, and they even have a 5 gallon bucket version. But I was hoping for some other options. Anybody know a "low tech" solution to preventing skimmer overflows? I could always take off the remote skimmer cup, then if it overflowed the regular cup I guess it would just flow back into the sump. But I want like 1 step ahead of that, 1 step behind the Apex.

View attachment 15309
View attachment 15310

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
I haven't tried it, but a 5 gallon bucket with a lid drilled for an acrylic tube slightly larger than a ping pong ball. The acrylic tube has the drain tube from the skimmer attached to the top. As the bucket fills the ball floats and eventually blocks the drain tube. I don't know if this makes sense, but I have heard it works. I was looking for a picture and saw that this may only work for downdraft style skimmers. Other option is the cheap float switch locker.

TheRealChrisBrown

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
I haven't tried it, but a 5 gallon bucket with a lid drilled for an acrylic tube slightly larger than a ping pong ball. The acrylic tube has the drain tube from the skimmer attached to the top. As the bucket fills the ball floats and eventually blocks the drain tube. I don't know if this makes sense, but I have heard it works. I was looking for a picture and saw that this may only work for downdraft style skimmers. Other option is the cheap float switch locker.
But how would I kill the power to the skimmer pump? Or is it not necessary as the ball prevents the water from entering the bucket and eventually just overflows the skimmer collection pump into the sump...as opposed to all over the floor?

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
But how would I kill the power to the skimmer pump? Or is it not necessary as the ball prevents the water from entering the bucket and eventually just overflows the skimmer collection pump into the sump...as opposed to all over the floor?
Unfortunately, I think that was the logic with the original old school methods I had seen. I think your best bet would be to get a float switch that is connected to your apex, but I can't even get my apex to connect to the internet again so don't ask me how to program that one!

TheRealChrisBrown

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Unfortunately, I think that was the logic with the original old school methods I had seen. I think your best bet would be to get a float switch that is connected to your apex, but I can't even get my apex to connect to the internet again so don't ask me how to program that one!
That's what I had running...but like you I am thinking about getting away from the Apex. I think the Avast Marine system will work...I'll probably go that route after I have my first overflow...lol. Cause that's how I roll

Dr.DiSilicate

Great White Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Is the skimmer in the sump? Why not just let it overflow back into the tank? If it’s cleaned up relatively often no issues and no worries that something might go wrong... I know summer and breaks might be weird in your situation but... maybe a bad suggestion for your tank? Maybe not.

Sent from my iPhone using MASC mobile app

halmus

Registered Users
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
My last tank had the in-sump skimmer. Overflowed back into the sump. Lowest tech solution I could think of. Saved me from wet floors quite a few times.

Avast solution seems to be next best thing if you’re dumping the Apex.

TheRealChrisBrown

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
I'm going to give the Avast skimmate with the auto shut off a try. I already have the 5 gal bucket that I'm using as a collection cup....the wife complains about the stink. So this will hopefully solve 2 problems at once, overflows and smell. I also took the opportunity to buy the Avast Marine Swabbie neck cleaner! They have a 10% off sale, so I figured why not.

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
You can put a few tablespoons of kalk into the skim mate container and it raises the pH so high that the bacteria dies and will not stink.

TheRealChrisBrown

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
I've been running the Avast marine Swabbie and the 5 gal bucket skimmate locker, both are working great. The locker seems to work on an air pressure thing, it cuts off if the bucket fills. Then the skimmer is plugged into the relay box that shuts it off if it gets too full. When I dipped the shut off tube in water it killed the power to the skimmer right away. So I think I got my "low tech" solution. I went with the DIY Swabbie kit, it was easy to assemble, with the most difficult part being locating the exact center of my Precision Marine skimmer lid. I put it on a simple timer that turns it on 4 times a day for 5 or 10 minutes.

View attachment 15418
View attachment 15417

View attachment 15416

View attachment 15415