Balz3352's 'Convinced Her' Basement Sump/Fish Room

Balz3352

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Craigar;636168 said:
Looks great my only concern is if you have to clean the drums it will be tuff to get into do that.
Yeah I was thinking about that. I ended up getting beams a little bigger than originally planned due to availability. I may look into getting either smaller beams or a way to clean them. Still a trial and error process. How often do you have to clean your drums?

Craigar

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Depends on your water. If you let your tds get out of wack every couple months if not every 6 months to a year

CRW Reef

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
I agree you'll have hell getting those suckers out! Maybe you have room on a top rack?

halmus

Registered Users
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
That's definitely better in my mind. I don't know what all you'll be putting on the racks, but at some point you were going to want to get in those drums.

Thanks for the info on where you got the drums and racks.

JodiI

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
B.O.D. Member-at-Large
Around here, we always do the highly scientific "sit on it" test. :) Put down the plywood, and then set something on it that weighs the expected weight. Often, that means one or two people climb on it.

Highly scientific.

halmus

Registered Users
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
I have a tendency to overbuild things.

If I'm doing the math right, theres's no way you'll exceed 500 lbs for that tank assuming a full 50 gal tank, which you'll be under by at least 6-10 gal depending on depth.

I would feel comfortable with that on 2x4's and plywood. Jodil brings up a valid point, fill it up and see what the deflection is. I doubt you'll see any. I would bet that 2x4's would be enough on their own. If you have any doubt, you could add some glue or liquid nails between the lumber and ply to solidify the structure (and some screws to hold everything together). That would lock all of the lumber together and help to distribute the load.

In my experience, those tanks are pretty strong to begin with, so I think you'll be safe.

Balz3352

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Well made some more progress over the last couple days. Plumbed the sink.

And cut and screwed in the shelves. Just have to put a couple coats of kills on them to make them water resistant.

The middle rack shelves. Have 3 areas. One big one under the frag tank then 2 smaller ones I can take out in case I need to service something in the sump I cannot do from the front.

Walter White

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Looking good! One thing I might suggest if you didn't already do it regarding the sink plumbing would be to install a trap that has a drain plug at the bottom of the trap. I know when I clean filter media and filter socks etc in my sink I get a lot of carbon, gfo, and sand that settles in the trap and I have to clean it out from time to time. Just a thought.

Mermaid Gardens

Anthias
M.A.S.C Club Member
Wow what an impressive fish room. Looks great.

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
It does! Only kind of plumbing I can tolerate! When I've done my last couple of projects I number my pieces and draw a line where I want them to match up when I dry fit everything. That way I know what piece is what.