1. Welcome to the shiny new site! Please have a look around and let us know how its working for you. Please note that all returning members will need to reset your passwords to login again. Click on "forgot password" to reset your password. If you still have issues then email us at board@marinecolorado.org Thanks
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Site Upgrade complete! A new version of the forum software has been uploaded. Please let us know if you have any issues. Thanks

Bar keepers Friend cleanser

Discussion in 'Newbies Corner' started by Roxborough Reefer, Sep 17, 2018.

1. To clean a used saltwater aquarium, should I only use vinegar or lemon juice. Otherwise, can I use a mild cleanser such Barkeepers Friend?
    Any other ideas?

Sent from my SM-G950U using MASC mobile app

2. SynDen

SynDen Shark Staff Member M.A.S.C Club Member M.A.S.C. B.O.D. M.A.S.C President M.A.S.C Webmaster

I generally start with vinegar, and a good soak in that should do the trick. I make my wife buy several gallons of vinegar every couple months, it'll clean just about anything if you give it some time to soak in a bit

3. jda123

jda123 Tuna M.A.S.C Club Member

You can use Muratic Acid if vinegar is not strong enough. It is a strong acid, but perfectly safe to inhabitants later. Handle with care and do not breathe the fumes. You need to really water it down and keep it away from concrete when in concentrated form. Vinegar is like throwing a baseball at a freight train compared to Muratic Acid. The stuff is like $5 a Home Depot or Lowes for a gallon.

SkyShark likes this.
  4. zombie

zombie Tuna M.A.S.C Club Member

Vinegar and/or ammonia are your best bet. Anything else might leave a toxic residue that will take an inordinate amount of water to properly remove.

Sent from my SM-G965U using MASC mobile app

5. zombie

zombie Tuna M.A.S.C Club Member

If you use this, make sure to take proper precautions. That stuff can injure your skin without proper gloves and can even kill you if you do it inside with no respirator.

Sent from my SM-G965U using MASC mobile app

Roxborough Reefer likes this.
  6. Thanks everyone I will get more vinegar and have muriatic acid on hand.

Sent from my SM-G950U using MASC mobile app