Basement Finishing / Fish Room

SeaMonkey

Goby
M.A.S.C Club Member
So I am looking at finishing my basement and finally building my fish room but ran into a few questions since the walls all need to be floated 3 inches here in Douglas county. Currently the only walls in my basement are for the stairs and they are hung from the first floor leaving the gap on the bottom. It seems like it would be easier to frame doors and showers if the gap was left at the top but it seems like most houses leave the gap on the bottom. So here are my questions:

1. Did you put the 3" gap at the top or bottom?
2. How did you make sure that moisture would not transfer from the fish room to the rooms next to it through the 3" gap? (I have waterproof backer board for all the walls and ceiling but not sure what to do with the 3" gap)
3. How do you frame and tile a shower if you hang the walls from the first floor and have the gap on the bottom?

Thanks for all the help. :)

halmus

Registered Users
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
I'm in the process of finishing my basement as well with a fish room.

It's a mixed effort between myself and the contractor. I don't know if local code dictates that the gap HAS to be at the bottom, but that seems to be common practice. For the finished bathroom, they ran tile for the shower all the way down to the pan as if there was no gap. They just covered right over it.

In the fish room where I put up FRP on the walls, I ran it all the way down to the floor.

I guess the rational is that if the worst case happens and the floor begins to raise or settle, the tile, and in my case FRP, might get messed up and buckle. However, those materials aren't strong enough like a framed wall so that it will cause movement in the rest of the house. The tile will just crack or show gaps depending on the direction of movement.

I'm going to silicone down custom baseboard to the floor and walls in the fish room to create a sort of large drip pan to contain any water so that it will work over to the floor drain. I'm adding a lip at each doorway leading out of that room that will do that same job where baseboard can't.

I'm not a contractor, so you should check with the local code to see what is and isn't acceptable.

High Plains Reefer

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
I'm pretty sure the gap has to be at the bottom that way if the floor heaves or settles the lower plate can move independently of the lower plate of the wall. you just run the wall board all the way down to the bottom plate. just tile over it like normal

scchase

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
B.O.D. Member-at-Large
Ussually the gap can be at the top or bottom, check local code though

FishTV

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
The reason the gap is at the bottom is because of your base board. The gap is in the framing, and drywall, and covered by baseboard. The idea is that if your floor moves, the baseboard acts as a slip joint. Same holds true for door trim, except the gap at the top of the door is covered by casing, and allows movement with minimal destruction.

SeaMonkey

Goby
M.A.S.C Club Member
So I understand the reasoning for the gap and confirmed Douglas County alows the gap at the top or bottom. I just don't get if you put the gap at the bottom how the shower will not crack all the tile if there is any movement. Also by tiling all the way down over the gap would defeat the whole reason for having it.

Balz3352

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
SeaMonkey;368443 said:
So I understand the reasoning for the gap and confirmed Douglas County alows the gap at the top or bottom. I just don't get if you put the gap at the bottom how the shower will not crack all the tile if there is any movement. Also by tiling all the way down over the gap would defeat the whole reason for having it.
Not necessarily. Tile and grout aren't that strong structure wise. If it heaves it will crack. Drywall/2x4s can lift a house and cause serious damage. (drywall is surprisingly strong)

neil82

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
It sounds like you are on the right track. You could see if your city or county has any resources to help you along. Find out what code they require such as the international residential code for example. The city I live in has information and spec drawings posted online for reference. Also, the inspector I am working with has been very helpful and responsive when I call with questions. I am also finishing my basement with floating walls.

Labsalesguy

Angel Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
You are welcome to PM me and check out my setup. I put my sump, pumps and other items in the mechanical room. tank is upstairs.

I am in Highlands Ranch