Basement Sump ext. return pump suggestions// Skimmer suggestions big system.

Fitz19d

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Next items I need in getting ready to get my build started is my skimmer and external return pump.

Return Don't need it connected to apex so don't think theirs is probably worth the extra cost. Wanted to give the jebao returns a try, but unsure if they are good for a basement sump application. I dont have a measurement yet, but I'm assuming it's like 16-18 foot of head. (Return over edge of tank about 5 foot off floor, then running straight thru vent into basement. Plan on putting sump a few feet up to try and reduce head as much as possible.

Names I've seen shot around are panworld?, Reeflo (local?), iwaki, and the jebao. Any others? Between these does a brand have high head specific models? (IE I might see a 1,400 gph pump but be missing out on a different 1,400 made for the pressure.)

Then skimmer I'd prefer in sump, but I do have 2 external bulkheads on sump so I could do external if good reason to. (I'd rather not risk some overflow situation though and let it dribble back into sump.) 300g tank, but imagine close to 500g total system volume. (125g sump, 110g seperate sump I may or may not use. 125 obv would be ran less than full.) I've seen RLSS dropped a bunch, again have chinese versions to save a couple hundred bucks on fishstreet and similiar to maybe give a shot. I'm bitter about some old reef octo's but I'm sure probably fine. Kinda was leaning away from lifereef despite being local (Enough 50/50 high praise vs hate)

Labsalesguy

Angel Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Arent you in highlandsranch?
Ill let you try out my iwaki md55RLT if you want to test if weve met

Last edited by a moderator:

Fitz19d

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Forget what we had met before on, but I'm way up in Frederick. I do run far north/south constantly now though for work. I'm not quite at the testing phase. Still need to have stand built and reinforce floor, but I've got the funds to start adding the next peices of equipment I don't have yet.

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
I run a Reeflo Orca on my 360 at school and that thing is a beast. If you have it run to a skimmate locker or on a float valve you don't have to worry about overflowing in the floor.

I've been happy with my Reeflo pumps so far. I run a hammerhead on the 360 and a Dart on the 180.

TheRealChrisBrown

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
I run the Reeflo Hammerhead from my basement to my display at 17 feet of head pressure. I love it. Been up and running for at least 2 years. 24/7. Quiet and powerful. I clean the impeller like once a year and am always surprised at how clean it is. If you are ever in Loveland and want to check it out let me know.

Andrew_bram

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
TheRealChrisBrown;641827 said:
I run the Reeflo Hammerhead from my basement to my display at 17 feet of head pressure. I love it. Been up and running for at least 2 years. 24/7. Quiet and powerful. I clean the impeller like once a year and am always surprised at how clean it is. If you are ever in Loveland and want to check it out let me know.
Duh can I see George.

Fitz19d

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
TheRealChrisBrown;n641827 said:
Work up that way this weekend. Possibly one of these evenings after I get off at 6 in FC?

TheRealChrisBrown

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
It has been a long time since I calculated it, but I believe it was in the 1500 - 1800 GPH neighborhood. Tough to say exactly because I have a ball valve after the pump to throttle it back a little.

I think I am running the Barracuda, not the Hammerhead as mentioned before.

Last edited by a moderator: