Basement sump in the works-need plumbing help from you smart folks.

Boogie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Basement sump in the works and I could use some help:

Here goes:

My house is a tri-level with the lower floor being half finished, half unfinished storage/laundry room slash new fish room.

On the main level I have a standard 6' 125g tank with dual overflows (standard 1" drains per). In the finished portion of the lower level I have a 75g with single overflow and a 25g with a drilled in overflow box. The goal is to have all three tanks merged into one system via the sump.

Sump itself is halfway complete and is 48"x20"x20". I have two iwaki 70 return pumps (side note: I talked to Iwaki and they felt that I would need to run both pumps to accomplish my goal. Please let me know if you think differently). Total vertical head is 15' with apx 50' of horizontal. When I add in bends and valves the calculator shows me apx 26' of total head pressure. goal is at least 4 times overturn per tank, prefer 5-6.

Plan was to run two 3/4" return lines from the iwakis to the tanks and then y one line under the 75g and run it to the 25g (they are next to each other at a 90 degree angle and currently share a sump under the 75g). The pump feeding the 75/25 is planned to plumb into a manifold that will run a 35g frag tank and a 35g fuge. Since doing some research, plan changed to running 1" till ys.

Drain: this is where the questions really come in (again, unless something I have already described should be changed in some way). The original plan was/is to run a single 1" schedule 20 down from the 125g and also from the 75/25 (having them y'd together just behind the 75g) and then having the two main return lines y'd together apx half way and continue to sump as a single 1" drain. This idea was given to me by a plumber, not a hobbyiest hence my reason for asking here. He stated that by remaining at 1", I would reduce the "toilet flushing" sound.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as its time to start ordering pieces. Please and Thank you.

Keeping 1" would keep it quiet, but I dont think it would be able to handle the volume of water needed. A 1" can take 960gph, so I guess figure out what your flow rate will be combined at the sump.

asn-naso

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Sounds like a great plan, but what happens if you end up with a disease, pest, etc.... in one of your tanks? It will end up contaminating everything.

Boogie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Yes, yes it will. Then I'll get mad and take the whole thing down and have three lizard tanks...would only be the 2nd time. =)

Boogie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
B-Willz;94831 said:
Keeping 1" would keep it quiet, but I dont think it would be able to handle the volume of water needed. A 1" can take 960gph, so I guess figure out what your flow rate will be combined at the sump.
So at minimum I should keep them seperate all the way to the sump (at least the 125g and the 75/25)

Boogie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
You think the difference in noise between 1" and 1.5" is that much?

asneiman;94840 said:
Sounds like a great plan, but what happens if you end up with a disease, pest, etc.... in one of your tanks? It will end up contaminating everything.
QT everything to minimize disaster.

Boogie;94845 said:
You think the difference in noise between 1" and 1.5" is that much?
Maybe not to bad, especially if you can all the air out where it widens.

Boogie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Ummfish;94914 said:
Go big on the drain lines. You won't regret that. Stuff grows in them eventually and they clog.
What size drains and returns are you running down to your mad scientist basement?

Ummfish

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
I'm running four two-inch drains that dump down to a 6" pipe in the crawl space. I have two of the 2"ers set a little above the other two, so that they stay dry unless I really need them. But I've had flooded floors from clogged drain lines and I don't want them again.

Zooid

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Ummfish;94914 said:
Go big on the drain lines. You won't regret that. Stuff grows in them eventually and they clog.
+1
I have two 1.5" drains on my 200g tank. One of the drains completely clogged up after 5 years of growth. The other drain was able to handle the entire load
so I was able to catch the problem before it became a flood.
I'd also keep the drain lines separate...no Y's....all the way to the sump.

I always erred on the conservative side when it came to piping. I used a value of 600gph for 1" conduit and 1350gph for 1.5" to reduce flushing and keep the sound down.

Boogie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Zooid;94918 said:
+1
I have two 1.5" drains on my 200g tank. One of the drains completely clogged up after 5 years of growth. The other drain was able to handle the entire load
so I was able to catch the problem before it became a flood.
I'd also keep the drain lines separate...no Y's....all the way to the sump.

I always erred on the conservative side when it came to piping. I used a value of 600gph for 1" conduit and 1350gph for 1.5" to reduce flushing and keep the sound down.
What does that mean in slow people's english?

Boogie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Follow up question: So when you recommend no y's are you saying that I whouldn't even y the two overflows from the 125g together?

Zooid

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Boogie;94925 said:
What does that mean in slow people's english?
LOL.....1" pipe will carry far more than 600gph depending on how it's used. For drains someone earlier said it can handle over 900gph.
I've always used the 600gph number just because that was the number people were using to maintain a silent drain when I first started
in the hobby.

Yes, I wouldn't Y the drains together, but if you do I would increase the exit size to handle both overflows. So if you are using 1" drains
I would bring them down to a Y that discharged at 2".

Boogie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Using your "method" what would gph of 2" be to keep it quiet? 125g is goaled at draining 800gph (might go up to about 900)

robert.talarico

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
I wouldn't recommend using 1" for your application. Go with 1.5" or 2" at least for your main drains. Coming off the tank with 1" then using a Y fitting to a 2" is ok. Your going to have the flushing effect no matter what just because you won't have constant pressure like your traditional copper plumbing in your house. Also, I would recommend staying away from 90 degree fittings as much as possible. Use 45's to keep all the water moving downward instead of horizontal to prevent any leaks or blow outs. I dont know how neat you plan on having your plumbing, like tucked under drywall and such but i recommend air testing the pipe before running any water. Meaning, cap both ends after it is built. But on one of the caps connect some sort of union valve which can be connected to a air pressure gauge and air compressor. Fill it up with air to a certain pressure then let it hold for a day or so. Use leak detector or soap on your fittings. Then if you have no leaks, your pressure stayed the same, cut the caps off and connect your final fittings. I am new to the saltwater hobby but I lay natural gas pipe for a living. I specialize in pvc and p.e. pipe. If you want help let me know. I will work for frags

dworkman

Angel Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
I have a basement sump with a 150 gal DT and have (2) 1.5in overflows. They are plenty quiet for me. I would go at least 1.5 for sure. At least put the 1.5 or 2in bulkheads in. In retrospect though, I would go with a little less flow through the sump and return and more flow in the tank with powerheads. It's a lot of work to run large pumps 24hrs a day, and the flow from powerheads is a lot better for corals than the laminar flow that'll be coming out your returns.

Boogie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Going to go 1" from tanks to y (just under tanks) and run 2" from there to sump. Going to go 1.5 bulk heads out of sump and reduce down to 1" before pumps (figure if I need to upgrade pump it would be better to start with 1.5" bulkheads). Then will run 1" from pump to manifold and 1" from manifold to dts.

chrislorentz

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Boogie, I thought your kind knew how to do everything? Hell a good one of your kind would of had it done already!