Best filtration

I plan on setting up a 90g. Its drilled for a reef tank. Just kinda wondering what would be the better w/d filter or a canister filter. I have only ever used a hangover filter. There are mainly going to be goldfish in this tank.

Do fuges work for freshwater too? I used a Rena canister for my oscar tank and it worked like a dream compared to HOB's

CRW Reef

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
He is saying he is putting goldfish in it, right? You guys still all thinking fuge? I vote canister if its just goldfish :)

The thing about goldies is they put out massive amounts of waste and foul up the tank pretty quick, so you're right in the fact that an HOB would be worthless here, whatever you choose. I've never seen a wet/dry on a fresh tank, but if it works, I wish I would have had one on my oscar tank. It would have been cool to house all those little creatures I couldn't put in the display.

Goldfish are really dirty fish I had a goldfish tank setup in my garage for my pond fish in the winter. I tried a hob filter and it wasnt enough to keep up. I suggest a sump/ wet dry filter and fuge with plants in it.

I just got back from D&G and was told that refugium would not work would be to hard and is best left for salt tanks. Wet/dry was suggested. I honestly don't see why all would not work. Just confused on what my best option would be for a tank with goldfish.

I like the refugium and the w/d options. But suspect the w/d may be simpler to maintain.

Wicked Color

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I think canister with stages is the only way to go on FW, you can run carbon and a couple different mesh sizes for particle filtration.
What ever you do avoid under gravel filters.

skebo

Blenny
M.A.S.C Club Member
24x12x16 with bio balls hole drilled for drain (can plug) and hole and bulkhead already to go for auto top off. Can see about overflow box, got a 1" utube so everything you want. Unless you got an itch for something new. pm me if interested. BTW, pic comes out funny as in garage while i sort and clean things up for my build. Its just dirty. Filled with water to check for leaks, left an inch to make sure overnight. Your call.[attachment=60992:name]

skebo

Blenny
M.A.S.C Club Member
I would still run the undergravel filter for the benificial bacteria bed under your substrate. In freshwater terms this is very important, and when you pop off the powerhead from the tube and suck out the junk during changes. Too much good stuff happens under a filter like that to leave it out even for gold fish. Hit up that newbie with a small build going who ran 6 years in the freshwater lfs i think and get his thoughts.

skebo;145457 said:
I would still run the undergravel filter for the benificial bacteria bed under your substrate. In freshwater terms this is very important, and when you pop off the powerhead from the tube and suck out the junk during changes. Too much good stuff happens under a filter like that to leave it out even for gold fish. Hit up that newbie with a small build going who ran 6 years in the freshwater lfs i think and get his thoughts.
I think I am the noobie you are refering to? (Correct me if im wrong) I have been runing fresh water for about 6 years now. I normally a HOB and undergravel. But this new Tank I have is drilled for w/d. I have only ever used HOB and undergravel never anything else.