Best Salt Mix?

G

Im toying with mixing my own salt. what brands work well for you guys with coral intensive reefs?

Cherub

Hey you
M.A.S.C Club Member
I use and like salinity but really there's already a few salt threads on opinions on MASC. I'll look for some and post links for you

Boogie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
I prefer table salt, really brings out the underlying flavor of fish.

or salinity. :)

G

ha thanks cherub, I figured if they were talking about salt, it would be in this section. I didnt even bother to search after not seeing it here. oops.

I use salinity and it works very nicely. For a while (2 yrs ago) I used Reef Crystals, and it is a O.K salt and one of the better cheaper salts, but with salinity I found that my corals responded right away, in a positive way instantly. So I have been loyal ever since! Not to mention its really good in keeping your mag adjusted to acceptable levels. With other salts, I found myself really dosing mag a lot after water changes, so much so that it made me nervous the amount of mag I have put into my tank and now, I don't worry :)

chrislorentz

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Elite Reef sells it as well

I know of a few stores that sells Salinity.. Keys Island being one..

Wicked Color

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Salinity (my current fav), reef crystals, red sea, oceanic, instant ocean, they are all pretty good.
Making your own is just a huge pain in the arse.

ShelbyJK500

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Talking to CC at Aquatic Art...they use nothing but Kent. Apparently after testing many times, the calcium levels of the salt are very good compared to salt twice it's cost. I know there are other elements, but they service some HUGE tanks and that's all they use. I'm looking to try it out soon. Just started using Salinity, can't stand how it mixes. It doesn't mix well and leaves a salt residue (thick) on my heater and powerhead in the mixer. Reef Crystals mixed much better and never left any residue?!? Go figure.

G

I picked up the Kent Reef Salt and did one water change with it so far. Mixed super easy. Everything in the tank is looking good still, so no negative effects, still waiting on positive effects.

Cake_Boss

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
I was using IO, because of the info in my sig. From the same link, I decided to try SeaChem Marine salt (it was on sale also). The batch of IO I got had an alk of 12dKH, too high for me. The SeaChem is a steady 10dKH, I dose the "missing" trace elements anyways.
The only issue I've have with Salinity in the past, is the calcium precipitating out.