Beware if u have flashlight app

FinsUp

According to my watch, the time is now.
M.A.S.C Club Member
I can't get the video to play (likely something to do with being in Mexico). What's the deal with the flashlight app?

Miah2bzy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Wow that was crazy. Can't believe that a flashlight app would have trogan malware on it to send data to Russia, China, India.

Rumen

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
I know it crazy...your welcome Cindy just trying to look out for each other they say u must factory reset the phone as well because the Trojan is still there if u just uninstall

FinsUp

M.A.S.C Club Member
GROAN! What a pain in the...
So I'm going to lose all of the music in my phone when I do the factory reset? I don't use it for internet or anything else anymore, since we cancelled that cell phone service. It's just a really expensive ipod now. That I sometimes use as a flashlight when I gotta take the new puppy outside in the middle of the night.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rumen

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Then u shouldn't worry if u only for music if u use your personal info, shop online and such...

FinsUp

M.A.S.C Club Member
Oh - yeah, I don't use it for anything like that. Still irritates me that people make a really useful app like that specifically to rip people off.

szavoda

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
FYI - this is the first comment on that page, and I believe it is accurate:

This is very deliberately dis-informative. I'm very disappointed with Fox:

This is not a "smart phone" problem, this is an Android, Android (Google) marketplace, problem. The video footage shown featured the iPhone and the iPhone flashlight. The iPhone flashlight is not a downloadable app, it is built into the operating system. It is completely secure. The same is true for the iPad. Both the journalist and the security expert make a conscious effort to avoid mentioning Android when, in fact, this problem is unique to Android yet they explicitly mentioned the iPad (even though it is completely invulnerable to this type of exploit).

Apple is often criticized for having a "walled garden" approach to their App Store – all apps are vetted by Apple before they appear on the App Store. Apps cannot be downloaded to the iPhone or iPad except through the App Store (Unless you jailbreak the phone). This may limit the types of apps which appear on the iPhone (or iPad) but iOS is a very secure environment. The very opposite is true of the Android which has literally hundreds of thousands of malware exploits, viruses, and Trojans.

I cannot but believe that Fox news deliberately protected Android and smeared Apple with this story.

aztecdreams

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
szavoda;349212 said:

This is not a "smart phone" problem, this is an Android, Android (Google) marketplace, problem. The video footage shown featured the iPhone and the iPhone flashlight. The iPhone flashlight is not a downloadable app, it is built into the operating system. It is completely secure. The same is true for the iPad. Both the journalist and the security expert make a conscious effort to avoid mentioning Android when, in fact, this problem is unique to Android yet they explicitly mentioned the iPad (even though it is completely invulnerable to this type of exploit).

Apple is often criticized for having a "walled garden" approach to their App Store – all apps are vetted by Apple before they appear on the App Store. Apps cannot be downloaded to the iPhone or iPad except through the App Store (Unless you jailbreak the phone). This may limit the types of apps which appear on the iPhone (or iPad) but iOS is a very secure environment. The very opposite is true of the Android which has literally hundreds of thousands of malware exploits, viruses, and Trojans.

I cannot but believe that Fox news deliberately protected Android and smeared Apple with this story.
This is why I like apple products. I was thinking the same thing

Jeremiah

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Why are people even using the flashlight app anymore? Pretty sure 100% of the andriod phones have the ability to turn on the flash without that app now.

opakapaka

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
iit should be a widget.

Rumen;349231 said:
Ya u can turn on the flash in the camera mode

FinsUp

M.A.S.C Club Member
szavoda;349212 said:

I knew the computers were really well protected, didn't realize that the iphones are, too. I knew I liked Apple for a reason.
Shame on Fox News (yet again) for BS reporting.