SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
Worth it? as opposed to what?
I have one old one. Works great. Only problem is during firmware updates, but otherwise no issues.
If I was to spend that kind of money on a new one, I would go with a profiLux instead, mainly because you dont have to buy a ton of extra modules to be able to use it with things like lights and pumps, plus has its own built in wifi

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
Profilux might be harder for someone that doesn't know how to program. At least the older models were challenging to use.

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
The new PRo4 supposed to be much easier and can do a ton more then the apex. The set for them run 850-1100 but once you count the fact that you wont need additional modules for things like lights, pumps, and everything else, they actually about the same price overall. So personlly if I had to choose it would be Profilux all the way
I'd prolly do this set
https://www.aquariumcomputer.com/usa/product/profilux-4-mega-set-black-usacnd/

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
if the RK is doing its job, then what is it that you are trying to gain by switching to Apex?

BrianH

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
I have an older apex with a $30 ethernet to wifi adapter. My apex is down in the basement with my sumps and frag tank. My display is on the first floor. I really enjoy being able to access my apex on my phone without having to go to the basement. @Walter White has a profilux (not sure which model but it is a couple years old) on his system and can speak to it. If I remember correctly, his comment to me about it was that he wished he had an apex because parts were hard to get for his profilux.

JuanGutz

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
What kind of adapter do you have? I bought one and couldn’t get it to work but I did go with cheap.

Dr.DiSilicate

Great White Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
I have an apex classic and have the internet cable run to it. I love the accessibility. In the old house I had a $25 WiFi adapter that worked well. I just ran a cBle to it for firm updates (not very offen) the ProfiLux is something i’d Look into more if doing it over.

zombie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
It's definately a worthwhile upgrade especially compared to a reefkeeper. The WiFi firmware updates are nice, but the real bread and butter is the ability to do everything that required the classic dashboard before remotely over fusion and have the much improved energy bar with 1link and 24V port built in and individual watts and amps monitoring.

TheRealChrisBrown

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
It's definately a worthwhile upgrade especially compared to a reefkeeper. The WiFi firmware updates are nice, but the real bread and butter is the ability to do everything that required the classic dashboard before remotely over fusion and have the much improved energy bar with 1link and 24V port built in and individual watts and amps monitoring.
What's your take on the ProfiLux?