Blue Tort's?

DyM

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
Is there a difference between a Cali and Oregon Blue Torts? Seem the same to me but not sure.

Haulin Oates

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I read somewhere that Cali's have more green in them, and oregan is true blue... But the colony I have of Cali is pretty blue... I don't see any green in it...

303travism

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
The Cali is green with blue polyps and oregon is blue with green polyps I think

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
dvenson;177212 said:
Come to the meeting on Sunday and you can look at the difference yourself
They do have some sweet frags and a huge mother colony worth checking out. The cali tort I picked up from them does have a green base with blue corallites, as Kris described.

Haulin Oates

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I think I got an Oregon from AA then... Or my tank isn't allowing green pigments at tge moment... Either way it's a nice small colony for a smokin price and it's actually growing!!

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Blazinjack;177222 said:
I think I got an Oregon from AA then... Or my tank isn't allowing green pigments at tge moment... Either way it's a nice small colony for a smokin price and it's actually growing!!
FWIW it took a good month for the green pigments to start appearing; I noticed them more once the frag started encrusting. The new growth at the base is green but tends to turn blue eventually,especially in higher light areas. The only areas that have remained green are partly protected from direct light from my 150W halide...the frag is about 6-7 inches below the light.

crisc

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
Ive been keeping both for a long time now and the difference is exactly like what was described above. But, they can and will morph in color depending on conditions. The cali in my show tank and several service accounts has very little green if any at all. While the colonies we have in other tanks and my coral flat turn more green. Kind of depends on the conditions, they all came from a small frag I bought 10+ years ago. The Oregon tort can be solid blue and the shade of blue is described as "richer". If you had a piece of each right next to each other you could tell the difference right away.

Blazinjack - I am 99% sure yours is cali. If I remeber correctly it was pretty big and on a piece of reel reef rock.

DyM

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
I got a nub from a friend whose tort was on its last leg, the nub is now about an half an inch and doing well in my tank. When asked what it was, his reply was "blue tort". A little consulting with Mr. google and I came across both, and couldn't tell the difference from the pics and descriptions on line. It's all blue for the moment, really small though so I'll be on the lookout for the green, appreciate all the feedback. I won't be at the meeting since it's my Mom's b-day. Wouldn't be available till after 3pm.