Breckenridge 30g upgrade to reef ready with Refugium

Well after much research and planning I have finally pulled the trigger and started buying equipment and started to convert the bare bones fish only live rock tank for a complete over hall to make it a full blown sps and lps tank. I've pieced together several things in different phases to space out all the expenses. I want to leave my current fish (misbared fancy clown, fancy clown, fire fish, lawnmower Benny) in the tank as long as possible before I break town the tank to drill for the over flow and return jets. So phase 1 is to build the Refugium out of a 10g Aquion tank, plumb the manifold and equipment in, and cure the 20 lbs of pukani live rock. Phase 2 is transfer fish and cleaning crew to temporary hold tank for 3-4weeks, during this time I'm going to drill the tank for the over flow and return jets, then finish plumbing in the Refugium, fill and cycle the live rock with its final aquascape. But right now I'm only on phase 1,

so this is the phase 1 purchases:

skimz sm121 internal protein skimmer
sicce sincra 1.5hp return pump
two little fish phosban 150 reactor
finnex hmo heater w/ digital led controller
20lbs pukani dry live rock
brs rodi 75gpd system

Phase 2:
Maxspect gyre xf130
Red Sea reef mature pro kit
varius lock line fittings and valves
30 lbs Hawaiian black Arag-live sand

phase 3:
AI hydra twentysix he led light
ati blue plus t5 bulb
ati aqua blue special t5 bulb
t5 dimmable retrofit kit 24"

phase 4:
Neptune systems apex controller (newest version)
dos dosing and fluid metering system (running 2 part)
'icecap gyre interface module
FISH
CORALS

So as of right now I have mocked up the Refugium and tacked the baffles in place before I silicone them in, I'm just waiting for the rest of my BRS shipment to arrive to start the cure on the pukani live rock. So here are some pics

You're doing it right. This is the same approach I take when planning a new tank. I get to watch all of the equipment pile up over months while I'm budgeting all the expenses.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

TheRealChrisBrown

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
ATO? And ATO reservoir? Or is that already on the existing tank?

I think you'll like the Gyre, I run the 150 on mine and am amazed at the amount of water it moves! It will probably blow around some of your sand, so I'd plan on putting some live rock on the opposite corner of the XF130...like rubble or something. Helps keep the sand from migrating on you!

Yea, I already have an ato and resivor on the tank, it's the jbj ato. Once Neptune system comes out with there new ato design for the apex controller I will upgrade to that. Good idea on the rocks on the end to hold sand in place with the gyre, will give that a try! Was also hoping the Hawaiian black sand is a little bit heavier then normal agro alive so may be that will help too.

Little update, 2nd half of m BRS order arrived today so I was able to glue the baffles in I had custom made from modular marine, with a specific water height of 8". Now time to let it rest.

I never did show u guys the over over flow I had made from modular marine as well, it's an 800pgd slim overflow box.

Sctip

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
legendracer79;652765 said:
I never did show u guys the over over flow I had made from modular marine as well, it's an 800pgd slim overflow box.
I have one very similar to that, it's from eshopps extremely happy with it. I had to modify it because the hole was already drill and was incorrect.

Ask and you may find out, don't ask and you will never know.

Short update, pukani rock came today had time to aqua scape crudely this is what it looks like.

TheRealChrisBrown;n652982 said:
How many holes do you have to drill for it?
I will have to drill 1-2inch hole for the overflow, and I will have 2 return jets at 1" holes with 1/2bulk heads.