Bristleworm gross out

So, I didn't know about dipping corals when you got them. If I go back and dip the corals, do I risk killing the athopods/cocipods along with the bristleworms? I do get it that they also live in the sand, but want to eliminate them before they get huge. I just do not like them.

prolawn_care

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
Several shrimp will eat them, i believe wrasse's will eat them as well... Just google how to eliminate bristle worms there are many methods out there.

As far as the dipping your corals, yes it will likely remove the athopods/pods...

KhensuRa

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Get a sixline, they are great fish and really do a great job at eating bristle worms, plus they are fun fish with tons of color.

Wicked Color

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Only get a six line if it will be the only small fish that shape, they are very mean.

Cherub

Hey you
M.A.S.C Club Member
you can make traps, buy arrow crabs or the wrasse to get rid of them. I hate em too but I am going to try it out and see if they are all that and a bag of chips like people say

robert.talarico

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Get a tupperware with a lid. Cut little x's all along the top. Push the x's in to create a little opening. Throw a piece of kill shrimp in the tupperware. Hold it on the water till it fills up and sinks. Bristles are scavengers. It's almost like they smell death. They'll go right into the container after the shrimp and get stuck. Make sure you only use the trap at night and don't leave it in more than 8 hours.

I have bristleworms... before I had any fish they opening wriggled around the tank along with my many pod varieties. But then I introduced my sixline and now all you will see of them is in the crushed coral at the bottom and on some of the deeper crags of the live rock. I agree, though, they're ugly... but none of mine are over 3 to 4 inches and they hide almost all the time, except when its time to feed. They clean up the tank really well for me. No food stuff is left behind in my tank and I only have one fish! I have not noticed any strange or mean behavior from my sixline yet-- he's small and by himself (fish-wise) so that may change this weekend when the other fish join him, but he seems docile compared to other sixlines. When he came from the seller (local guy), he was in with clowns and they left each other alone.

Are sixlines bred in captivity or caught?

Cake_Boss

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
ryan820;91629 said:
I have bristleworms... before I had any fish they opening wriggled around the tank along with my many pod varieties. But then I introduced my sixline and now all you will see of them is in the crushed coral at the bottom and on some of the deeper crags of the live rock. I agree, though, they're ugly... but none of mine are over 3 to 4 inches and they hide almost all the time, except when its time to feed. They clean up the tank really well for me. No food stuff is left behind in my tank and I only have one fish! I have not noticed any strange or mean behavior from my sixline yet-- he's small and by himself (fish-wise) so that may change this weekend when the other fish join him, but he seems docile compared to other sixlines. When he came from the seller (local guy), he was in with clowns and they left each other alone.

Are sixlines bred in captivity or caught?
My sixline is also passive to other non-wrasses, but when I drop in some more wrasses....he turns into a T-1000. Harassing, biting, and slamming down the other wrasses into the sand bed. I saw he doing this to two other wrasse I put in there. I couldn't catch him without tearing down the tank so he's in there now, but I can't have more wrasse now. He sometimes goes after my clowns but they run to the nem and he won't touch them there. Next tank I have, no sixline.

rockys_pride;91636 said:
My sixline is also passive to other non-wrasses, but when I drop in some more wrasses....he turns into a T-1000. Harassing, biting, and slamming down the other wrasses into the sand bed. I saw he doing this to two other wrasse I put in there. I couldn't catch him without tearing down the tank so he's in there now, but I can't have more wrasse now. He sometimes goes after my clowns but they run to the nem and he won't touch them there. Next tank I have, no sixline.
I'm actually a little nervous about adding new fish now with my sixline ruling the tank. Though I suppose the saving grace will be that he's SMALL. The percs and blenny are grown and mature and though I don't consider them big, they are bigger than the sixline is now.

My first sixline, Pete, died. It was horrible, I felt like I totally failed (LFS sold him to me and said the salinity was 1.025, which mine was too, only to find out with a refractometer that mine was 1.025 but HIS was 1.030!!!!! Pete didn't have a chance). So I got my current sixline, Re-Pete, from this other local seller and he was small but healthy. He's growing but still small.

bsharpe

Users with zero posts needing moderation to determine if they are spam bots
Thanks for the info on the home made trap, going bristle hunting right now!