brown alage or another tank cycle

deboy69

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Still can't find the root of the problem with nitrates and ammonia. Unless my sand bed is dead or dying off and I'm losing my biological filter.

deboy69

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Yes that rock is in my tank that we got. It's been in there for 2 months after I washed it and scrubbed it cleanish

deboy69

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Water and a scrub brush let it dry. got what i could off and used the rest of whatever was on it to cycle my tank

ReefCheif

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
Agitating the sand the way you did may account for the sudden spike in nitrates and ammonia, Im not sure you cured the rock enough either. This may be your problem. The sands dead spot is not helping. I would highly reccomend removing any remaining live stock into QT, and start doing heavy water changes on the tank. Increase flow, add a powerhead to blow across the back bottom part of your stack to help circulate any dead spots that may be occuring. Get those nassurus snails too. add an extra canister fileter or HOB to help with filtration, that would not hurt at all either.
In short I think your best bet is to beef up flow, big water changes and beef up filtration for the duration until the levels return to normal, but if you dont get your livestock out, its likely going to continue to slowly die off, which is not helping the situation either. If you need I have a couple rubbermaid tubs, DIY frags racks and a HOB filter I could let you borrow. I used the tubs and HOB as a temporary flat while moving, have also used them as a temp QT. I also have a 250 watt metal halide you could boroow to hang above the flat so you have good light. If you need it let me know, Im leaving for camping early tomorrow morning so youd have to come by tonight to grab this stuff.

deboy69

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I might have to. Where are you located. This couldn't come at a worse time since my spare tank is keeping live rock and sand for the tank I sold and the guy keeps pushing pickup back

ReefCheif

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
PM Sent

deboy69

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
For flow I have my return Rio 3100 which is 900 and change or about 700 at my tank also have a korilia 2 at 600gph blowing the other way. Is that enough

Haulin Oates

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Let me put it to you this way... In my 120 I have a mag 12 return to both sides (let's say 1000gph, conservatively) 2 koralia 1650s, 2 koralia 1050s all on a red sea wave maker... And I still had dead spots. During the rebuild I'm going with a faux sand bed and adding 2 nanos behind the rock to keep Detrus from settling anywhere in the DT

ReefCheif

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
On my 180 I run 2 mag 12s and an external booster pump to help push the water up the pipe, I have 2 koralia 1650s, 2 koraila 1050, 2 korilia 600 and 2 koraila 300 nanos. Overflow is in the middle of the tank and i have the powerheads positioned to create a circular movement around the stack, with the 2 1650s blowing down the center. I use the 300s in the lower corners of the tank to provide a small amount of flow in those areas. the 1050s run the lower front, and the 600s blow down the back of the stack. Seems overkill, but no dead spots, no build up no algea problems and the SPS absolutly love it.

deboy69

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Wow. Boy did my research do me wrong. Maybe i just misunderstood but or misread what I was reading is that I didnt want to turn my tank over more than 10x the size of the tank. What would be some recommendations i have a 1050 power head i can use too. I only have one return is what the tank was built with.

Haulin Oates

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
You don't want to turn you tank over through the sump more than about 10x. But total flow in the DT needs to be about 20x or more for SPS.

deboy69

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Ahh thats the problem. So my sump is fine than I just need more flow in my DT tank. This is why you all have the answers....

[video=youtube;-FucbvoFFy0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-FucbvoFFy0[/video]

ReefCheif

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
Even though my flow seems a bit higher than it shoudl be its actually not, I had to make up for the pressure loss of the water traveling up the plumbing. The flow within the tank itself is high, but the return flow to the sump is just right.

ReefCheif

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
deboy69;182667 said:
Ok, now onto my ammonia and nitrate problem. Is the major cause of this my dieing sand bed?
IMO, your casue of all this seems to be related to your flow. You have low flow, thus in turn creating dead spots in the sand, thus in turn creating ammonia and nitrate spikes. Fix the flow and youll fix the dead spots, in turn getting rid of the nitrates and ammonia, and dont forget water changes.