BRS hacked

Tony44

Amphipod
M.A.S.C Club Member
I received a letter today from BRS that someone had hacked their system between 7/30/14 and 1/22/15. They have offered free credit monitoring for a yr. I suppose I'm not the only one here who got this letter but it just came today and was dated 2/18/15. For me this probably explains my CC being compromised twice in the past yr.

DyM

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
Got the letter too. And my credit card was used illegally two weeks ago. Coincidence..... Probably not.

lsaint

Clown Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
got mine today too. I payed with PayPal so I think I am good

Last edited by a moderator:
DyM;342977 said:
Got the letter too. And my credit card was used illegally two weeks ago. Coincidence..... Probably not.
Interesting. I had a bogus amazon charge a few weeks back. I still haven't gotten the email from BRS though and I placed a few orders I'm that time frame...Might be emailing them in the next day or two if it hasn't been received

flyfish

Angel Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
I received a letter also,my account got hacked several times.I'm glad the bank caught what was going on an shut my card down.I'm gonna follow up with BRS .My letter was dated the 18th also

Well as luck would have it o checked the mail just kow, guess we forgot last night, presto letter. Generous of BRS to offer the service to so many folks spanning a large time period

Munch

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
They got my Discover card as well, luckily Discover shut it down quickly.

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
hmmm.. my card was compromised a few months back too. No idea how they got the info and they went as far as changing my address and ordering themselves a new card. Had to close the account out and make a new one, but never heard anything more about how they managed to do that or where they managed to get the info. If they hacked BRs I think that would give them the info needed to do it, but I have not received a letter from them.
Either way this rash of companies getting hacked is out of control right now. I can think of at least 3 companies right now that have been hacked recently that would have my info so could have come from any one of those or maybe even some others that we hadnt heard about yet.

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
SynDen;343009 said:
Either way this rash of companies getting hacked is out of control right now. I can think of at least 3 companies right now that have been hacked recently that would have my info so could have come from any one of those or maybe even some others that we hadnt heard about yet.
+1 to this. I may have lucked out with the BRS thing since I use PayPal for that site...but I just received a letter from Anthem Blue Cross Blue Shield saying they got hacked and all my personal info was compromised. :/

I've had issues with cards in the past and actually had 2 cards opened under my name after ID theft several years ago. It's a hassle, but I've kept a security freeze with all 3 of the credit bureaus since then. It keeps anybody from opening new accounts under my name...downside is that you have to pay $10 and use a PIN to unlock your credit to apply for a new account...but it's completely eliminated fraudulent accounts being opened. Might be something to consider once their offer for 1 year of free credit monitoring runs out...

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
Yep I also got the Anthem one. That is a good idea on the credit lock, might have to bring that up with the wife. I hate the credit monitoring they do anyway, because it basically waits for it to happen then you have to fix it. But the credit lock is a bit more proactive. Wish it didnt have a fee but its understandable

Munch

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Might look into using Credit Karma, it's free, and will notify you of new activity on your account. I used to pay the $8 a month, and switched over to ck 3 years ago without any issue.

www.creditkarma.com

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Anybody read the BRS letter? They said that cards were not available (whole card numbers anyway). Other info was. Doubtful that anybody got any card numbers from them.

MartinsReef

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Bulk Reef Supply security Breach

I received this letter in yesterday's mail stating that personal information at BRS was stolen and compromised in the passed six months. Just want to let you all know that you may want to keep an I on your information if you order from them.

Thankfully I use PayPal to pay for these purchases. However I will be keeping an eye on it.

SkyShark

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Just a reminder to keep monitoring your accounts for fraudulent activity. Looks like they finally used my card info this past week. A quick call to my credit card company was all it took to remove the charges, but this isnt something the ProtectMyID would catch.