Bryopsis vs Hair Algae

zombie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
cent36;348099 said:
Yeah I read those but most of them were kinda old
Whether they are old or not, I know many people that have used the tech m treatment and have successfully eradicated bryopsis. I would give it a shot.

CRW Reef

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Yep def a bryopsis of some kind. I would use Tech M as suggested and this can be found at most of our sponsors retails stores.

I would use this thread for instructions on using the Tech M:
http://www.atlantareefclub.org/forums/showthread.php?t=52138

and I would use this calculator to see how much Tech M you will need to get your Magnesium up to the 1800ppm (level/concentration that is generally achieved when bryopsis will start whiting out and dying off) from what you currently level of magnesium is at:
http://reef.diesyst.com/chemcalc/chemcalc.html

* do not forget to specify your water volume at the top of the calculator

ailachami

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
another way to solve this is by finding out the source. what are the nitrate and phosphate? are you over feeding? added new rock? raising mag seems like a quick fix but it'll return once you mag return to normal level.

zombie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
ailachami;348202 said:
another way to solve this is by finding out the source. what are the nitrate and phosphate? are you over feeding? added new rock? raising mag seems like a quick fix but it'll return once you mag return to normal level.
Finding the source is a good idea, but bryopsis can be eradicated (and replaced by hair algae) using tech M. Cleanup crew won't touch bryopsis because it is poisonous to them, so manual removal and raising Mg is the only way to get rid of it before it takes over.

cent36

Angel Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Great! Thanks for all the good info. I will let you know the outcome.

As far as the source, I have another thread on here a little ways back when I was trying to find the source and it is most likely the old dead dry rock I started with

zombie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Also, I misspoke. Raising mag is not the only way. Lettuce nudibranches can also be used, but raising Mg is usually more effective.