Bulb recommendation

Munch

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
So I'm looking to buy some backup bulbs for my 250 MH setup.

I got one of these bulbs with the unit, think it's a Phoenix. Anything better avail? Should I stick with 14k, or go 20k?

View attachment 21904

I have the Reef Brite XHO stunners on the tank already. Looking to get growth for my zoas...

Last edited by a moderator:
When you are dealing with de bulbs you only have so many choices. The phoenix 14k are a solid bulb with anm80 ballast but i don't think they look very good with electronic ballasts. Ushio and xm make a 20k de bulb that would both work. If you do have m80 ballasts then that phoenix will work great. Unfortunately radium does not make a de 240w bulb.

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
20K is going to be about the 60% of the output of a Phoenix. The 14K phoenix has output not too far off from a 10K with a bluer look.

I grow zoas like crazy under 14K Phoenix DE on M80 as well as under 10K Hamilton SE on M57 ballast.

Which ballasts do you have?

Miah2bzy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
jda123;334151 said:
20K is going to be about the 60% of the output of a Phoenix. The 14K phoenix has output not too far off from a 10K with a bluer look.

I grow zoas like crazy under 14K Phoenix DE on M80 as well as under 10K Hamilton SE on M57 ballast.

Which ballasts do you have?
I had phoenix 14 k de on my sunpod w m80 ballasts and they were great. Best decision in reefing that I made. The blue/white balance was great, looked very natural and even my wife made comments on my tank. Made my zoas look great and sps as well.

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
I run 4 250watt 14K Phoenixes and couldn't be happier. Plus you don't need to replace them as often as typical MH bulbs.