calcium levels

tlsrcs

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
So I tested my calcium and hardness yesterday and calcium was over 500 and hardness is about 7.5-8 I am using an API test kit I have about 6 spa frags in about 60-70g system do I have a problem?

KhensuRa

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
As long as everything looks healthy then you should be fine.

tlsrcs

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Yea everything is doing great I just don't dose anything and I do about a 10g water change once a month of I remember so I thought it was odd to have such high cal

Kindafishy

Cleaner Shrimp
I bought some sand a few years back at Exotic aquatics. The stuff WAS NOT aquarium sand. Not sure what it actually was, but my calcium stayed at 900-1200+ all the time for a few months after I got it. I tried 50% water changes every third day for a week, only getting down to 650, but by the next day it would rise back up 30-40 again. As soon as I changed my sand to Aragamax Bahama oolite (which IS aquarium sand), everything went back to normal. The only thing good that came of that sand was I learned about KH via that issue! Reason being, If your KH gets to low? Some sands can dissolve into Calcium.

I'm not saying your sand is what I had (god forbid). However if you have drops in KH, causing PH fluctuations it can sometimes cause sand to turn into excess calcium, thus filling in the missing Carbon with Calcium.

coloagro

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
If you need an accurate KH test I can spare you a test on my Hanna Checker. Calcium is usually right on with the API...I actually have a Hanna Calcium Checker but it sucks and is difficult to use unless you measure stuff PERFECTLY...but if you want to test with it I can loan that to you as well or you can run me by some water. API kits for KH are accurate but not detailed enough which is the good thing about the checkers. Just PM me if you think u need a test or two. GL

Cake_Boss

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
Kindafishy;151259 said:
I bought some sand a few years back at Exotic aquatics. The stuff WAS NOT aquarium sand. Not sure what it actually was, but my calcium stayed at 900-1200+ all the time for a few months after I got it. I tried 50% water changes every third day for a week, only getting down to 650, but by the next day it would rise back up 30-40 again. As soon as I changed my sand to Aragamax Bahama oolite (which IS aquarium sand), everything went back to normal. The only thing good that came of that sand was I learned about KH via that issue! Reason being, If your KH gets to low? Some sands can dissolve into Calcium.

I'm not saying your sand is what I had (god forbid). However if you have drops in KH, causing PH fluctuations it can sometimes cause sand to turn into excess calcium, thus filling in the missing Carbon with Calcium.
I want that sand, do they still sell it? What was your dKH? I like mine around 10.

tlsrcs

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Yea I might take you up on that offer coloagro. Ill try to keep track over the next few weeks and make sure it drops a little

Kindafishy

Cleaner Shrimp
rockys_pride;151375 said:
I want that sand, do they still sell it? What was your dKH? I like mine around 10.
To be honest I didn't even know about dKh back then. I know it was very low.

If you actually want that sand, it's in my shed in an old Igloo cooler (about 1/3rd of the cooler full).:D It might need rinsing, as it seams to still be wet after at least three years.