Calcium question

Shaunv

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
So, about a week ago, I noticed that my calcium had dropped pretty low (330). I was out of calcium so I picked up some Seachem Reef Fusion 1. I was adding it for a few days as per the instructions and saw so increase in my calcium at all. I picked up some Calcium from Aquatic Art and added 25 ml. I checked the levels again the next day and still no change in the levels. I added 50ml after 24 hours and tested agin the next day. Still no changes. I added another 50ml after 24 hours and today my levels are 540. Super high! My purple haze monti is now showing RTN. Should I do a water change or wait it out? Here are my other levels

temp: 80
salinity: 1.025 (refractometer)
Alkalinity: 9 (API)
Ph: 8.2 (API)
Magnesium: 1300 (Salifert)
Calcium:540 (API)
Nitrites: 0 (API)
Nitrates: 0 (API)
Phosphates: 0 (Salifert)

Shaunv

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
The Monti is frag sized now, so not a huge loss, I can replace it pretty easily. It was a DBTC that I received about a year ago that I have since passed on as well. So, not a huge deal. I just don't want to lose all of the high end stuff in my tank like Pearlberry, Red Planet, etc. I took a sample to Aquatic Art the day. I picked up the. Calcium and they got a reading of 330 on a Salifert kit which is about what I was reading on my API kit. I am almost out of the API reagents so I have Salifert test kits on my birthday/Xmas wish list :). That and Red Sea Colors test kit (Potassium, iodine, iron).

Shaunv

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
So the Idaho Grape completely RTN'd and the smallest frag out of 4 frags of my red planet did too. I tested the Calcium again today with my API kit and now it's reading 300. After 3 days, I find this highly unlikely. The kit has an expiration date of 10/2015 but it is very close to going gone. So, hopefully tomorrow I. Have time to pick up a Salifert Ca test kit and see what it says. I leave for a few days starting Saturday and am hoping the tank won't crash while I'm gone.

sethsolomon

Hammerhead Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Shaunv;331153 said:
So the Idaho Grape completely RTN'd and the smallest frag out of 4 frags of my red planet did too. I tested the Calcium again today with my API kit and now it's reading 300. After 3 days, I find this highly unlikely. The kit has an expiration date of 10/2015 but it is very close to going gone. So, hopefully tomorrow I. Have time to pick up a Salifert Ca test kit and see what it says. I leave for a few days starting Saturday and am hoping the tank won't crash while I'm gone.

Do a 30% water change this will help remove the excess levels down to a more reasonable level.

and +1 only use API test kits for ammonia, nitrate, and nitrite.

Did you recently add anything like lots of new sps or change your lighting, anything? The Calcium depletion is rather quick! +1 on water change, whatever it is get new water in there.

Shaunv

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
I am mixing water now but only have enough at this point for a 20% for tomorrow. I did a 20% on Monday as well. My lighting has remained the same. I started adding this to the tank July 1st and have added quite a few frags but no colonies. I have a feeling that depletion is not quick so much as my test kit sucks. I'm not 100% sure though. I just can't imagine it is depleting that fast.

deboy69

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Normally high calcium isn't a problem it's alk that causes problems. I would double check your salinity and confirm the refractometer is calibrated and check you alk with another test kit.

Shaunv

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
Refractometer is calibrated, just checked at the LFS last week. Salinity is at 1.024 The Alkalinity was tested yesterday and is 8.4

Last edited by a moderator:

Shaunv

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
deboy69;331181 said:
Did the LFS check you alk too
Yes, with a Salifert. On my API it's hard to tell but I read it as 8