Can anemones morph or fade?

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
djkms;321408 said:
We have quite a few sunbursts out at maintenance accounts and a lot of them under LED only. Never seen them lose color from being under LED. Heck I even have one maintenance account that has huge 12"+ sunbursts in it and they only have the blue'/white CFL's on them and they look gorgeous!!
If this is true, then nothing that we have seen for sale recently is a real sunburst if they cannot look any better when not under LED. CFL is a good light for BTAs - not energy efficient in any way, but good spectrum and power and is a true wide spectrum.

Munch

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
djkms;321419 said:
"True Sunbursts" have yellow tips. Period, end of story. We do this dance every 6 months or so :D
I think we do the dance, but never close the deal. :)

This is by far the closest we have to understanding, how possible the "Gucci" Sunburst (as I call them) have possibly morphed into existence. They were likely Colorado Sunbursts, but mixed in with Rose Nems. I know mine and others that are quite orange, with speckled green bases, but NO yellow tips - were all sold as Sunbursts. Hence, the reason people defend their nems as a sunburst, while others that have true sunburts call em out as fakes.

Mine again for reference:

View attachment 20635

My guess is if you got yours from ShelbyJK500, it'll look like mine, and not Gonzos.

Last edited by a moderator:

djkms

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
LeviK;321421 said:
So any rainbow that has yellow tips is a sunburst is what you are saying?
If it is a rainbow with yellow tips then its not a rainbow, its a sunburst. I have had splits from a sunburst (lineaged from Ki) that have been all rose with yellow tips. I have had splits that had a ton of green, to orange to yellow. Some all orange to yellow tip. These have all been splits from a lineaged sunburst. There are always some that look better than others but the tell tale sign has been and always will be, yellow tips. I have dealt a LOT with sunbursts. At some points Premier has had over 2-300 sunbursts in its possession at a given point in time, we still have numerous in our accounts. Always yellow tips. I mean yellow, not bleached looking white or pale, but yellow.

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
My Funburst has yellow tips and it is not a sunburst. Not even close.

It is more likely that somebody along the line got some wild 'nems that were pretty close. They probably had gotten the real deal along the way and got the upstream lineage people to say that they had legit specimens. They sold the impostors with the pedigree of the real thing. This has been pretty common for a long time with high priced stuff.

Munch

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Kris S - and you can confirm the Sunbursts look similar under different lighting, correct? Atleast based on your experience...

djkms

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Munch;321428 said:
Kris S - and you can confirm the Sunbursts look similar under different lighting, correct?
To the naked eye they all look very similar under different lighting. IMO they look best under halide but photograph best under LED if you get your camera settings correct.

Jeremiah

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Can anemones morph or fade?

That is the name of the thread...I'm sure the question was brough on by our discussions of lemond drop - sunburst - funburst(fake sunburst = funburst).

Since some have been told the sunburst can end up turning yellow under certain lighting, now all of a sudden you are asking well is a lemon drop a well matured sunburst with all yellow and no orange. Just like is a funburst a sunburst without the yellow tips?

One of those articles posted above stated that the BTA's actually have sexes and that splitting isn't the only way they reproduce....so if that is true then a sunburst could technically "Breed" with another and create a whole new morph.

IE the Roses being kept with the Sunburst creating the Funburst. Obviously the conversation wants to gravitate towards the sunburst/funburst/lemondrop conversation.

We can use the sunburst anemone conversation as the easiest bridge to have this conversation. However, lets try and add examples and additional information that will assist in educating everyone.

Like my Funburst that no longer is that very bright orange without the yellow tips. (changing due to tank conditions).
My new sunburst that is really a beautiful orange with the yellow tips.

Both being kept in LED's and how i'm going to see how they change as i increase my lighting and the "true sunburst" being in the same tank conditions as the "funburst" who has probably not had enough lighting.

edit: I don't think that my funburst will EVER look like my sunburst does...no matter the conditions.

LeviK

SCMAS Board Members
S.C.M.A.S BOD
djkms;321426 said:
I give up, you guys have fun with this one...damned if you do, damned if you dont and it always ends up gong in circles :israel:
I think what we are getting at is that if its only yellow tips that make it a sunburst then many people have overpaid when you can get one with yellow tips and rose, green and orange colors in it for under 80.

I personally like the Gucci sunburst best lol

http://wamas.org/forums/topic/35250-orange-flame-bubble-tip-anemone/

Orange flame has yellow tips, orange tentacles and a green base. I can order these for under $100 so guess I need to start selling them as sunbursts since they have yellow tips.

djkms

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
And on a side note, to add more fuel to the fire....The owner of Premier, who is out at these accounts every day and has WAAAY more first hand experience with this than I states that BTA's can and do "swap pigment" as he puts it. I have never seen this first hand but he has...

Jeremiah

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Munch;321433 said:
Jeremiah, you have both in the same tank?
Yes, you saw my 2 funburst when i first got them. I got rid of one of them and got a true sunburst last weekend from Ki. So I know 100% i have a real one no messing around.

The Funburst in the months since you came over has lost ALOT of color it is definately dull orange now. I can only see that real nice orange when it shrivles up and the color is concentrated. I have only been running my 12 watts of blue led in this time....i've just this week slowly started my whites. I'm going to try and get the funburst to color back up. And at the same time see how the sunburst changes / keeps color.

edit: with the full light on i was measuring around 200-300 par at about 1/2 down in my tank around the location the funburst sits...since i was running 1/2 then it would have been around 100-150 par. Basically i'm going to double the par it gets and see how that effects color.

It doesn't seem to affect the health because the thing is always extended and healthy looking. Also it never is stretching for light...i've seen a lot of tanks that have anemone and they are just REACHing for the light. Interesting that it lost so much color under just the blue's and it isn't stretching for light. Interested to see how the White LED's effect its coloring. Wish i could just add some UV to the mix, but maybe later after i see how things change in the coming months.

Jeremiah

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
djkms;321434 said:
And on a side note, to add more fuel to the fire....The owner of Premier, who is out at these accounts every day and has WAAAY more first hand experience with this than I states that BTA's can and do "swap pigment" as he puts it. I have never seen this first hand but he has...
Kris,

I just wanted to thank you for participating in the discussion. I know for you guys that these conversations can get old. I just hope that we are actually guiding this conversation along a slightly different path.

As for the pigment swapping...that kind of worries me. Would be interested in knowing more about the pigment swap...did they have 2 different anemone...then all of a sudden babies that are a blend of the 2...or did one of then start turning into the other???

LeviK

SCMAS Board Members
S.C.M.A.S BOD
Jeremiah;321441 said:
Kris,

I just wanted to thank you for participating in the discussion. I know for you guys that these conversations can get old. I just hope that we are actually guiding this conversation along a slightly different path.

As for the pigment swapping...that kind of worries me. Would be interested in knowing more about the pigment swap...did they have 2 different anemone...then all of a sudden babies that are a blend of the 2...or did one of then start turning into the other???
Yes thank you for helping with this discussion and please do not take my comments as more than trying to better understand this whole topic. I am very interested in buying 4-5 sun bursts and before I do I want to know exactly what I am getting any why I'm forking over so much cash.

LeviK

SCMAS Board Members
S.C.M.A.S BOD
Yeah but finding yellow tip orange nems online WYSIWYG for under $100 vs $400 makes for some hesitation and research IMO