Catch a fish

Jfaiii

Butterfly Fish
I have a very nice flame angel in my tank that I have decided to get rid of. I need to get him out without removing all my rock and coral and without harming any of my other livestock. Does anyone have any helpful tips? As soon as a net touches the water he disappears behind the rocks.

Jeremiah

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Fishing line, small hook, bait, Chair...beer....patience.

also, I always try at night. Fishes are easy to catch when they sleeping.

Last edited by a moderator:

SkyDiv3r17

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
I have a fish trap you're welcome to borrow. I'm right by campus. I've never not caught a fish with it. Super easy. Just don't feed them for a day or so and then spray a bit of food in it! Boom caught!

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
Why the decision to get rid of him? Is he a coral nipper or has he been a model citizen?

Jfaiii

Butterfly Fish
Skydiver I may take you up on borrowing the trap. I will let you know. If I get him out I would be willing to sell or trade. He had been a modle citizen for a long time and when he moved into my larger tank he developed a taste for acans. It seems that is all he eats but I'm not really sure. If anyone is interested in him if I get him out let me know.

webslinger

Members Needing Moderation of Some Kind
Jeremiah;329998 said:
Fishing line, small hook, bait, Chair...beer....patience.

also, I always try at night. Fishes are easy to catch when they sleeping.
Don't feed them for a day, a small #7 hook and a small piece of shrimp

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Traps really work. Put it in the tank. Only offer food inside of the trap. They will get the idea and after a few days, they will be lined up and/or going in when you have your hands in there putting food all the way in the back. When you are ready, push the door shut and you got 'em.

The only fish that this has not worked on (for me) are smaller damsels/chromis and wrasses that can eat off of the reef.

2 liter clear soda bottle cleaned of wrapper, cut where it starts to tapper and cut again down from the spout to accommodate fish size. then invert head piece and glue. Cheap fish trap that works if the fish will fall for it or be hungry enough.

SkyShark

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Ghxst;330529 said:
2 liter clear soda bottle cleaned of wrapper, cut where it starts to tapper and cut again down from the spout to accommodate fish size. then invert head piece and glue. Cheap fish trap that works if the fish will fall for it or be hungry enough.
+1 I've done this trick (with a smaller bottle) before with good results. My only issue was that I was catching everything except the shrimp I wanted!