CatFish Charlies

tlsrcs

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
They just opened up not to long ago in lafayette. I guess he was pretty big a while ago before retirment. But needles to say he probably has the best prices i have seen on almost all of his live stock! and is willing to order it at his cost if he does not stock it and that goes for dry goods too. He is very nice but be warned he can talk your ear off! my girl friend hates when i go in there i say ok honey 10 min i just need a few punds of rock and a hour later i come out with rock and a soar throat from talking to him.......If you get a chance go check him out. not alot of corals and the ones he has did not look great but good fish and look healthy too.

Their salt system only just cycled in the last couple weeks, so their stock is brand new. I purchased some freshwater fish and inverts from them a month ago, and the fish were super healthy. Pretty sweet prices compared to the usual stores I haunt. Not to mention great service from people that really care about their inventory. Hopefully some day soon they can move to a bigger location and have even more tanks - like when they were open before some years back, it was like fishapalooza. I had never seen that many fish in one place.

tlsrcs

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
yea i did notice that they had a few fish then he said they were cycling......but now they do really need more space.

Bajamike

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I try to only use Ron (AKA) Catfish charlies. They have the BEST prices any where. Friday I picked up 2 manderins for $10.99 each got a clown for $9.99 all alive and doing great! I worked for him in 1992 whem he was big and it was above any other store I hope he is able to reture to the same great levels.

tlsrcs

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Gonzo? never heard of it? where is that stoer located? if it beats cat fish charlies then it might be worth checking out.

Since I live up north, I mainly frequent stores up in this neck of the woods (Catfish Charlies, Liquid Kingdom, About Fish, sometimes Fish Den but they are way out of my price range lately and too crowded to get around). Any small price diff is wasted with my gas-lovin' beast (10mpg). I value customer service, knowledge and animal health more as much as saving a buck here and there though I will have to check out Gonzos - heard good things on here.

tlsrcs

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
iv been to elite reef nice place its a little far for me but i got a hippo tang from them it was a good price but was pretty small.....it got eaten by a hitch hiker crab like 2 weeks later in her sleep! but overall great store

I was on there this past Tuesday and it was very welcoming. Everything looked good except one tank of Ron Vio tetras had Ich. Very reasonable prices no doubt. I think firefish were on sale for like $5. Overall a small but very nice place.

Catfish Charlies trip today was successful. Picked up 3 new corals (Ricordea and GSP) as well as a rock flower nem. All very easily acclimated, open immediately and healthy looking. Selection of corals was very limited, but $6 ricordea, 10 bucks a coral frag and 6 bucks for the nem was a nice thing to see after my Christmas spending, lol. Owner said he ordered this batch to guage interest and has been pleasantly surprised. I urged him to check out the boards as well as continue his ordering. Had good prices on all his inverts.

Granted, the store is on the smaller side, but there are still plenty of saltwater tanks - they line one entire side of the store. My husband said he usually dislikes going with me to the LFS, but not this one as it was the cleanest and best organized he has seen. If the prices remain competitive, I will be back soon to see new stuff.

SteveT

Butterfly Fish
Last edited by a moderator:

Cake_Boss

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
Finally went down there, he definitely has a solid business plan. Picked up 4 peppermints for $16, pretty good deal if you ask me. He has the cheapest prices, some less than the local wholesalers. You can't beat the 72 hour warranty either. Ron is def a good guy.

Sent using Forum Runner

matt.radich

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
I have been there a number of times. I love it for my livestock needs, and they are very nice and kind people. I would always go on Thursday or Friday because you get a super good deal on his new shipment fish. I got a green mandarin for $9