Cent36 nitrate issues

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
If your nitrates are still that high, then don't think the cycle is finished. Although after doing such a large water change and the nitrates didn't come down I would say you either have a bad test kit or there is something adding nitrates to your water change water.
Hard to tell with your pics but looks like diatoms to me and is fairly normal part of the cycle.

Good way to start is increasing either the amount of water you change or the frequency of which you change it or both even. It takes some patience and time bit you can get it under control

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
It is not going to go down until you get some anoxic bacteria growing in the sand or rock. Just leave it be and it will come down on it's own. It can take quite a while for the tank to fully cycle.

zombie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
From what I can tell, that is either a diatom bloom a hair algae bloom or both (hard to tell from pics, next time turn off your blue lights before taking the picture. makes it easier to see). Both of those blooms are an indication that your cycle is getting close to the end. Keep up with regular water changes as mentioned before and try to siphon out as much of the diatoms and/or hair algae as you can during water changes. Do you have a refugium set up yet with some cheato in your sump? If not, now would be the perfect time to add some. every time your cheato ball doubles in volume, take half of it and throw it in the trash.

cent36

Angel Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
OK, so I will get some chaeto to put in my sump....where can I get some? I only have one store close to me and I don't remember seeing any in there, but that doesn't mean it isn't there.

How often do I do water changes and how much?

zombie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
In the classified section there is a sticky called the cheato thread. Post of there where you are located and that you want some cheato. Most people on this forum harvest cheato every week, so they always have some available for someone that needs it. I would give you some of mine, but I dont want to risk giving you velvet since my tank is still in the fallow period following an outbreak (btw, take a lesson from me and QUARANTINE EVERYTHING before it goes into your tank).

For water changes, I would do around 20% per week or 10% twice a week until your nitrates get below 10 ppm, then back off to 10% per week until your tank hits the six month mark. A bottle of copepods would also be in order to help with breakdown of detritus and live food for your fish.

Last edited by a moderator:

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
jda123;315510 said:
It is not going to go down until you get some anoxic bacteria growing in the sand or rock. Just leave it be and it will come down on it's own. It can take quite a while for the tank to fully cycle.
+1 and to getting some cheato. The cheato will help absorb the nitrates and bring them down, but the tank wont be stable until you have a good supply of bacteria. Have you added any additional ammonia sources. like fish food or anything that can help build the bacteria?
I would say do 10% water changes once a week and just let the cycle do its thing, it will balance its self out in time, but if you do to big of water changes to frequently you will likely just slow the process down. Patience is key here, you need to wait for it to do its thing

SkyShark

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
The growth on the rock looks like a bacteria called Beggiatoa and is associated with die off from within uncured live rock. Should go away shortly.

Munch

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Cent36, I moved your posts to a new thread. Didn't want to clutter up DoctorD's issue.

Also, you might want to post up your parameters, "tank parameters are all good" doesn't help a lot. Share what you have, and it might help lead to the issue.

Also, how long has your tank been up?

zombie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Munch;315538 said:
Cent36, I moved your posts to a new thread. Didn't want to clutter up DoctorD's issue.

Also, you might want to post up your parameters, "tank parameters are all good" doesn't help a lot. Share what you have, and it might help lead to the issue.

Also, how long has your tank been up?
You didnt move my reply though

Munch

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Sorry, got a lil messy with people posting inbetween.

Should be cleared up, carry on! :very_drunk:

Vdubjetta01

Blenny
M.A.S.C Club Member
Did you shake the crap out of the nitrate bottles both #1 and #2 especially #2 as it's the thicker one I think...and once you got both solutions in the vile shake the crap out of that for 30+ seconds and wait the 5 min. Post the rest of your tests.

cent36

Angel Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
OK, sorry for mixing up the threads. I thought since it was a nitrate thread I would post there. Thanks MUNCH for fixing it.

[Have you added any additional ammonia sources. like fish food or anything that can help build the bacteria?/QUOTE]
Yes, I have been "feeding" the tank for over a week now, just a few flakes, and I have two small clown fish.

Also, you might want to post up your parameters, "tank parameters are all good" doesn't help a lot.
OK, so my PH is 8.2, Ammonia dropped to 0 for four days, Nitrites 0 for four days, Nitrates hover around 40

[Also, how long has your tank been up?/QUOTE]
Tank has been up since June 1st.

Did you shake the crap out of the nitrate bottles both #1 and #2 especially #2 as it's the thicker one I think...and once you got both solutions in the vile shake the crap out of that for 30+ seconds and wait the 5 min.
Yes I shook the crap out of it all the way around. I also tested three times within two hours. Before, during and after the water change.

FinsUp

According to my watch, the time is now.
M.A.S.C Club Member
If your tank has only been up 3 weeks, it's nowhere near done with the cycle yet. Give it some time (think months, not weeks).

And I agree with the previous advice given so far. Definitely get some chaeto going.

sethsolomon

Hammerhead Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
cent36;315507 said:
should I get a clean up crew? and how do I bring down the nitrates

patience and let your tank fully cycle. It can take up to a month and a half for the tank to cycle. And just keep up with your weekly 10% water change and wait another 2 weeks to see if it comes down. The more patience and the slower you go in the beginning the better your tank will be in the long haul.

zombie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
You have clowns in the tank? You are gonna want to feed more than I originally suggested. I thought your tank was still fallow. Target feed each clown so they each get 3-5 flakes or pellets a day to start. Go for a small cleanup crew to start (maybe 1 hermit, 2 nassarius and 5 cerith) you can add more later as they are needed.