Chalice Care

I was reading up on chalice care. In one of the articles, it says chalices need to be placed horizontal and not vertical. Has anyone had success mounting chalices to a slope on their live rock? Thank you.

Cherub

Hey you
M.A.S.C Club Member
Horizontal = horizon, or parallel to the ground. So if what you read says to go horizontal then you don’t need to worry about a slope.

If you were just asking about vertical in contrary to the article then sorry for chiming in lol. I was making sure you understood.

tlsrcs

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Horizontal = horizon, or parallel to the ground. So if what you read says to go horizontal then you don’t need to worry about a slope.

If you were just asking about vertical in contrary to the article then sorry for chiming in lol. I was making sure you understood.​

huh? lol

that0neguy1126

Registered Users
M.A.S.C Club Member
I have always heard that it is good to place them on a slope. This is how they grow in the wild also.

i never seem to have good luck with mine no matter where i place them.

Yes, horizontal as in flat to the horizon. Typically they tend to be on the sandbed or near the bottom. However, when you see pictures of colonies, they are growing all over the rock, both vertical ( l ) diagonal ( / ) and horizontal ( _ ). I was wondering what you guys have found to be the best. Thanks for the input.

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Lowenbrau;167095 said:
Yes, horizontal as in flat to the horizon. Typically they tend to be on the sandbed or near the bottom. However, when you see pictures of colonies, they are growing all over the rock, both vertical ( l ) diagonal ( / ) and horizontal ( _ ). I was wondering what you guys have found to be the best. Thanks for the input.
Don't mean to derail, but your growth descriptions just gave me a good laugh since they look like...

(|) tight _ _ _
(/) lopsided _ _ _
( _ ) flat _ _ _

I think most prefer...erm...nevermind. :b

Back on topic, FWIW there were a couple articles I came across while researching chalices (never did pick one up) that indicated it'd be beneficial to place them on a slope to help with detritus removal.

Mt tank is 30 inches high, a 150 Tall. I have a lot of lower light areas, overhangs and shade areas...I want to utilize those areas, sounds like chalices are good options.