Chalice lost to an Acan?!?!

Haulin Oates

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member

Sorry for the cell pics. I found it on top of an Acan colony I have. This was a watermelon chalice. I've never seen a chalice lose and the acan be fine!
Any chance I can save the chalice?

Dbarnes

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member

You should be able to save it, I have seen many chalices get stung from different corals

Haulin Oates

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member

Well there was about a quarter left, but I got called into work and will be here til 12. So I guess I'll see what's going on when I get home. I separated it and put it in a corner away from other stuff so hopefully nothing else happens.

ReefCheif

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
Wait a minute? An Acan beat a Chalice? I gotta say, IME, I didnt think an acan can beat a chalice. My hollywood stunner killed off 2 acan colonies with its sweepers. Ive lost Acans to zoas falling on them as well as frog spawn. Strange to see this for sure.

Dbarnes

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member

All corals no matter the species have varying intensities of stings and IME Hollywood stunner is one of the worst. I have an scan that has 3" sweepers that bothers my frogspawn. It just depends but usually it seems corals recover pretty quickly at least the few that I have had seemed to, but none of my experiences with this have been as severe. Just dip the coral and cross your fingers

Haulin Oates

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member

ReefCheif;228980 said:
Wait a minute? An Acan beat a Chalice? I gotta say, IME, I didnt think an acan can beat a chalice. My hollywood stunner killed off 2 acan colonies with its sweepers. Ive lost Acans to zoas falling on them as well as frog spawn. Strange to see this for sure.
That's what I was thinking too!! I thought for sure the acan would be toast! But when I lifted it up it was fine and the chalice was toast!!

romebaby

Cleaner Shrimp
M.A.S.C Club Member
I just lost my BGM chalice to an Orange Crush acan. Came home and the BGM was on top of the acan. The chalice is solid gray now, not a scratch on the acan.

Haulin Oates

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member

Well, after a few people came over to get some frags I think I was sold a favia instead of an Acan. The chalice is making a slow recovery and re growing flesh. The acan/favia is doing fine. In still doing a bit of research about what I have.