Apex/EB8 help

quackenbush

Clown Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
I have a very old Apex Classic (before it was classic) and 2 old EB8s. The amp readout on one of my EB8s has gone haywire. It used to be very consistent - jumping from a base level of ~2.5 amps to ~4.5 amps as the T5s switched on and off, but a week ago a small anomaly quickly turned into erratic readings between 3 and 5 amps with no rhyme or reason. I shut off all the outlets one by one to see if it was connected to a particular outlet or piece of equipment and nothing stood out. Anticipating a failure, I moved the return pump to the other EB8, and ordered a new EB8 from BRS, but in the meantime, I'm wondering if any of you have seen this before or have any ideas. I did some googling but haven't found anyone with similar problems.

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
I have had similar things happen with my apex and it was always a firmware issue for me. Last time the firmware corrupted on my eb8 and I had to get Neptune to reset it for me, but you might be able to update it manually. Update the brain firmware first and then update the module firmware
Other things that can sometimes make the apex go haywire is to much build-up on the temp or ph probes. Mine starts doing weird things if the temp probe gets covered in algae to much for some reason. Quick dip in vinegar to clean it off and then good to go again.

quackenbush

Clown Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
I have had similar things happen with my apex and it was always a firmware issue for me. Last time the firmware corrupted on my eb8 and I had to get Neptune to reset it for me, but you might be able to update it manually. Update the brain firmware first and then update the module firmware
Other things that can sometimes make the apex go haywire is to much build-up on the temp or ph probes. Mine starts doing weird things if the temp probe gets covered in algae to much for some reason. Quick dip in vinegar to clean it off and then good to go again.
This makes sense. Thank you. I got a new update notice for one of my modules, so I will dig into it.