1. Welcome to the shiny new site! Please have a look around and let us know how its working for you. Please note that all returning members will need to reset your passwords to login again. Click on "forgot password" to reset your password. If you still have issues then email us at board@marinecolorado.org Thanks
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Site Upgrade complete! A new version of the forum software has been uploaded. Please let us know if you have any issues. Thanks

Chipped glass.

Discussion in 'General Reefkeeping Discussion' started by Irishman, Apr 2, 2018.

1. Irishman

Irishman Cuttle Fish M.A.S.C Club Member

So my mom hit the corner of the tank with a baking pan, the big chip on the bottom. And I noticed the chip on the top which has me more concerned. It’s located between the panels of glass but hasn’t breached up to the silicone. Should I be concerned yet or start looking for a replacement or can I use silicone to seal the chip between the panes?

I do have a 180 waiting to be set up lol

Attached Files:

2. scchase

scchase Marlin Staff Member M.A.S.C Club Member M.A.S.C. B.O.D. B.O.D. Member-at-Large

Wouldn't bother me, most likely won' be a problem

3. TheRealChrisBrown

TheRealChrisBrown Barracuda M.A.S.C Club Member M.A.S.C. B.O.D. B.O.D. Member-at-Large

I asked a question about a glass chip at a LFS that is no longer in business, I was told "It isn't a problem, unless it starts leaking".....I was like "Thanks, super helpful"

Cherub and flagg37 like this.
  4. SynDen

SynDen Shark Staff Member M.A.S.C Club Member M.A.S.C. B.O.D. M.A.S.C President M.A.S.C Webmaster

Ya wouldnt even worry about those. Ive had many glass tanks with similar chips and never had an issue

5. neil82

neil82 Cuttle Fish M.A.S.C Club Member

Doesn't look too bad. I haven't dealt with repairing chipped glass, but seems like it should be fine.

6. scchase

scchase Marlin Staff Member M.A.S.C Club Member M.A.S.C. B.O.D. B.O.D. Member-at-Large

I don't think I have any glass tanks that don't look like that

7. Dr.DiSilicate

Dr.DiSilicate Kraken M.A.S.C Club Member M.A.S.C. B.O.D. B.O.D. Member-at-Large

No worries! Just a bit ugly but the bottom of the tank is the strongest part with the least pressure.

8. flagg37

flagg37 Copepod

That’s classic.

9. Smiley

Smiley Barracuda M.A.S.C Club Member

ya, i wouldnt worry about em either.. they look small... maybe keep a towel handy?

10. Irishman

Irishman Cuttle Fish M.A.S.C Club Member

Thanks for the replies everyone