1. Welcome to the shiny new site! Please have a look around and let us know how its working for you. Please note that all returning members will need to reset your passwords to login again. Click on "forgot password" to reset your password. Thanks
    Dismiss Notice

Clam help?

Discussion in 'Clams - bivalve molluscs' started by Balz3352, Oct 29, 2016.

1. Balz3352

Balz3352 Marlin M.A.S.C Club Member

I recently got a clam and everything was going great till about a week ago the lower quarter of the mantle is in the shell. It appears okay to me the rest of the mantle is out and colorful. Im just at a loss due to inexperience on clams.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. Balz3352

Any ideas /opinions?

3. scchase

scchase Marlin Staff Member M.A.S.C. B.O.D. M.A.S.C Club Member

Possibly pinched mantle

4. jda123

jda123 Barracuda M.A.S.C Club Member

You can try a freshwater dip. It might kill it, but it is probably going to die anyway if you don't. Sorry.

SkyShark likes this.
  5. Balz3352

Dang!! Well I'll try some things

6. Balz3352

Thanks guys

7. Texco

Texco Copepod

Are any tank mates nipping it? I had a tube worm grow on mine and when the worm put his net out the clam would get upset. I clipped the tube worm off at the base. Clams like stability, a 10% water change might bring your parameters in line if something is off and affecting it. No change from this will at least tell you its something else going on.

8. SynDen

SynDen Shark Staff Member M.A.S.C. B.O.D. M.A.S.C Club Member

Ya I had an apstasia irritating mine once and it would only partially open. Nuked it with lemon juice and clam was happy. The key is to find out what the cause is and eliminate it before its to late

Texco likes this.
  9. Balz3352

Well I think I finally found the problem. My sps was acting up and melting so I checked ALL my parameters and thought everything was okay until I just tested my alk with my seachem test kit instead of my hanna amd and it was WAY OFF. 7.2 to be exact so my hanna reagent was bad.

10. SkyShark

SkyShark Barracuda Staff Member M.A.S.C. B.O.D. M.A.S.C Club Member

How's the clam doing? Did things bounce back once you got the alk back in line?

11. Balz3352

Died before I figured out the alk problem... What's left of my sps seems to be hanging on wich is encouraging.