Clam in trouble.....

foxface 13

Cleaner Shrimp
Hi guys!

So I just started keeping some clams, started out with a nice purple Maxima 6 months ago and added what I think is a deresa 3 months ago. Both clams have been very healthy and happy over the last few months, good mantle extension, no gaping, etc... until this week. My purple Maxima looks like its normal self but I started to notice some receding mantle on the Deresa. I thought this was maybe because it was not getting enough light, as several corals above it have started to partly shade it since it is on the substrate. I decided to move it out a bit today towards the glass and noticed another problem - it is not snapping shut in response to touch (big problem!!!). So I moved it up to a ridge on the top half of my tank, and also noticed there is a mucus like substance over part of the mantle. A good description is found here:

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=120296

I have also thought about doing a fresh water dip - does anyone have any experiance with these on clams? It seems like if the clam is stressed it may be too much for it....

Water Parameters:

pH-8.2
Alk-1.7 meq/L (4.76 dKH)
specific gravity - 1.023
NO3 - 5 mg/L
NO2 - 0
NH4+/NH3 - 0
Ca++ - 440ppm (I dont have a Mg test yet)
I use Reef Crystals and do a 10% water change once a week. I have a 46 bowfront.
I will be using Reef Buffer to increase my pH and Alk back into reef range.

Tank Inhabitants:

2 blue chromis
2 perc/osc clowns
1 yellow coris wrasse (has never picked at clams but was purchased as a juvenile)
1 skunk cleaner

Pics to follow

foxface 13

Cleaner Shrimp
There is also a slight chip in the mantle which I don't think was there before. This is in the same place as the slime string on the mantle....

foxface 13

Cleaner Shrimp
Clam died tonight - I did dip it in RO water for 20 min. Without ability to retract its shell there wasn't much I could do - found my cleaner shrimp picking at it once the lights went out. Opted to chuck it rather than have it release NO3 back into system.

By the way - THANKS FOR ALL THE ADVICE I RECEIVED!!!!! I guess it is a bit more important to ID a brittle star tonight then talk about clam disease.....

dvenson

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
foxface 13;93144 said:
Clam died tonight - I did dip it in RO water for 20 min. Without ability to retract its shell there wasn't much I could do - found my cleaner shrimp picking at it once the lights went out. Opted to chuck it rather than have it release NO3 back into system.

By the way - THANKS FOR ALL THE ADVICE I RECEIVED!!!!! I guess it is a bit more important to ID a brittle star tonight then talk about clam disease.....

i guess the clam experts were MIA i figured someone had some type of advice.

sorry you lost the clam.

mdrumm

Butterfly Fish
foxface,
If i caught this earlier I would have told you the same thing as I would say now...I have never had a clam come back from any recession in the shell. I am not saying that it is not possible but EVERY time that has happened to me it has always ended the same for me.

gh0st

Cleaner Shrimp
Sorry, didn't see this thread until this morning.

In any case, for future reference, you're Alkalinity is extremely low, and PH was probably bouncing all over the place, which may have been the culprit. Get that alk up to 4 meq/l or 10-12 dKH.

The clam was also VERY close to that hairy mushroom in the pics, there may have been some stinging going on when the clams mantle was extended.

Wicked Color

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Sorry for the lack of responce, I am by FAR not the most knowledgeable here, but here is my take;
Alk is def low, small clams need zooplankton dosing, and all the different sub-species have different light requirements, also +1, once in peril it is very difficult to recover.
I dunno about the FW dip, my exp tells me salty critters are opposed.

Cake_Boss

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
foxface 13;93068 said:
I will be using Reef Buffer to increase my pH and Alk back into reef range.
Can't believe I missed it, Reef Buffer increases pH, Reef Builder increases alk. Regardless of what stores/other forums/other members here will tell you, I've never had great luck using Reef Buffer to increase alk (or Reef Builder to increase pH). Like ph, you don't want to increase alk too quickly. If you do, you'll get alk burn.