Clams and led lighting

Tango

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
I am thinking of trying a clam does anyone keep one under leds? Mine would go in a 75g under 2 kessils a360we lights. My tank is 21 deep lights are abouth 8 1/2 off water run them at 75% intensity. Any info would help

SkyShark

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Check out some of the advanced aquarist articles by James Fatheree. He recommends a derasa for a first tridacna clam.

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
Clams only really need bright light and steady calcium levels to keep growing. I would think the 2 kessels would do pretty good for them. I have a maxima that is under my 4bulb t5s and its done great.

tomtom2245

Angel Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Clams and led lighting

I have had multiple maximas and two squamosas under all LEDs and both have done amazing. The squamosas grow like weeds for me under them. My fixture is a custom built 44LED fixture originally over a 40B and now a 20L following my move. On the 20L I have dimmed them to about 50%.

J.guokas

Cleaner Shrimp
M.A.S.C Club Member
I have always kept my clams under leds and had nothing but good luck. I currently have a derasa under my radion and it's grown from 2" to about 6". The clam loves LEDs

Tango

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member

Got mine yesterday and its already attached to rock its kinda skittish with everything but its opening more and more

Tango

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Seems to be doing good now i got mine frome coral culture usa they r some great guys and there zoa heada are huge size of a quater