Cloudy water

damontoy

Angel Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Looking for the cause of cloudy water. 92 gallon RR with sump and refugium. Kessil lights life reef protein skimmer. 4 small fish. It's been like this since it's been up, about 3 months. Doing water changes. Please advise with any suggestions.

Walter White

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
My 200g that I recently set up has had something similar going on despite running copious amounts of carbon and filter socks. My assumption is a bacterial bloom of some sort. I didn't really try to do anything about it just kept up with some heavy skimming and water changes. I've noticed it has started to go away on its own and the tank is looking really clear.

I am curoius however if there is a easy trick for clearing it up fast.

Dr.DiSilicate

Great White Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
I'm stumped other than running carbon and a filter sock that is changed often. I did get some KZ coral snow on a whim a few weeks ago. It's said to have similar affects to activated carbon. It clouded up the water big time for several hours but I noticed marked clarity improvements in my water after using it a few times. My sand bed has a bit of algae too which disappeared as well. Might be worth a try. Waiting it out may be the best prescription too, patience. Three months is pretty young for a reef.

Miah2bzy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Cloudy water

My 30 had problems with cloudy water too, I added 100% polyfill from a cheap pillow from Walmart (new) to my media tower and that seems to be working. I change it out every few days and there's all sorts of gunk that collects in it. Might be something suspended in your water then.
Am I reading it right that you had the cloudiness in both your display and your sump?