Clown/anemone questions

NightHawk

Clown Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
I just got a Wyoming White clownfish a couple weeks ago and a RBTA this week. I was wondering if there are ways to encourage them to host without stressing the fish or anemone. I know it will probably be just waiting it out but if there is anything I can do let me know! Thanks

Joey

Jfaiii

Butterfly Fish
Put both into a pond basket and zippy it to the top of the tanks. This allows water flow through the holes but should prevent the fish from getting out. Others may have different ideas but this is the only way I know of to do it. How is that nem doing?

NightHawk

Clown Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
The nem is doing great, he stays in the top corner on the glass but he eats and opens up. I have even tried putting him back on the rock but he went right back up there. I get my kessil in today so maybe he will have a different reaction and move down.

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
Really the clown will take to the nem when its ready and not before, but there are a few tricks that can encourage them to take up residence.

Feed the clown near or around the nem. or,
Leave a flashlight on above the nem when the lights go out

But honestly its a waiting game. I had my clowns and nems for over a year before they finally took to the nem, but once they did they dont venture far from it.

Jeremiah

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Wow, that is some patience. I waited 6 months and mine never hosted so i got rid of them and got new clowns.

SynDen;350033 said:
Really the clown will take to the nem when its ready and not before, but there are a few tricks that can encourage them to take up residence.

Feed the clown near or around the nem. or,
Leave a flashlight on above the nem when the lights go out

But honestly its a waiting game. I had my clowns and nems for over a year before they finally took to the nem, but once they did they dont venture far from it.

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
Oddly the thing that got mine to finally host was I added a snowflake to the tank, which happen to be a tad bigger then my female. This created a war in the tank and basically forced my clown into the nem as a result, although had to remove the snowflake to stop the war, but hey they ended up in the nems and now wont leave them.

Dont recommend doing that though, was a serious pain in the arse

Jeremiah

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Got it, mental note...if you want fish to do what you say then hire an enforcer that can catch them.

SynDen;350054 said:
Oddly the thing that got mine to finally host was I added a snowflake to the tank, which happen to be a tad bigger then my female. This created a war in the tank and basically forced my clown into the nem as a result, although had to remove the snowflake to stop the war, but hey they ended up in the nems and now wont leave them.

Dont recommend doing that though, was a serious pain in the arse

NightHawk

Clown Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Well the clown and nem both are getting adjusted to my new tank and light. The nem hasn't bothered my frags yet because i put him on a new rock with nothing on it. He is eating and stuff but man is he colorful, hes not only red but has bits of green at his base. I think overtime i will do the little tricks but i'm nearly positive the clown made a nest because there's a giant brushed out circle area in the sand. I received my kessil yesterday and I am in love! My tank is now 90% better now. Thanks for all the replies!

the only way that I have found by forcing them is that if you take both the nem and the clown out and place them in a small bowl where they are basically right on top of each other or like jfaiii said use a small pond basket and other then that you will just have to wait of the three though I suggest just waiting

I have a nem that won't grow it just splits... the clowns in my tank are bigger than my RBTA lol. At this rate I won't have a hosted nem/clown combo. Good luck with yours! I have 8+ nems in my tank now...I lost count

NightHawk

Clown Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Lol my nem found a place he likes and i love it. The clown hosted him for like 20 minutes the other night and then stopped after i moved the nem away from the powerhead. I bet with time they should pair up but either way they are both beautiful.