Mangroves

halmus

Registered Users
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Just curious where people source mangroves from and what varieties there are suitable for the marine aquarium?

What varieties do you keep?

I’m reworking my refugium. I’m going to bring it to life in a few weeks.

Only place I remember that has mangroves was tropical pet oasis. Most lfs should be able to order them in. Mangroves will also require daily mistings of freshwater on the leaves. Seen one setup using a reptile mister for them and filled with rodi water.

Sent from my LG-H918 using MASC mobile app

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
Only place I remember that has mangroves was tropical pet oasis. Most lfs should be able to order them in. Mangroves will also require daily mistings of freshwater on the leaves. Seen one setup using a reptile mister for them and filled with rodi water.

Actually that depends on species. Red mangroves which are the most common in the trade only require spraying to keep the leaves clean. Salt or black mangroves require spraying to clean the salt excreted from the leaves.

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
Only certain types of mangroves need daily misting. Red mangroves can do just fine with only occasional misting of the leaves. I have 3 under my 75 in the sump and I just wipe them once a month or so

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
I want some too if you decide to order. I’d prefer bigger ones though.

halmus

Registered Users
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio

Thanks for the input Todd. I have considered options for misting.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/20-RED-MAN...409762?hash=item28490ef8a2:g:4S0AAOSw0xRZl7eL
Cheapest and easiest good time of the year to order too not to hot or cold
Thanks for the tip Scott! I hope these are still available in a few week or so. I assume the season lasts a while.

Only certain types of mangroves need daily misting. Red mangroves can do just fine with only occasional misting of the leaves. I have 3 under my 75 in the sump and I just wipe them once a month or so
The few I have, I’ve completely ignored for years. No wiping. No misting. I plan on taking better care of these.

I want some too if you decide to order. I’d prefer bigger ones though.
I’ll order some extra when I do. It looks like the link above has some pretty young pods. If you aren’t happy with the size, I’m sure someone will be interested.

I’d love to get ahold of some more mature ones but I don’t know how likely that is.

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
Ya, getting older ones is very rare ime, mainly due to the fact that mangroves do not like their roots disturbed much once they start growing. They have a tendency to die easily if they are disturbed