Mixing Radion Gens ( 3 and 4)

Colored Sticks

Angel Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Has anyone visually seen a difference between a gen 3 pro and gen 4pro ?

Starting the process for my new tank build and don't really want to replace all my current G3 pro radions. The new tank is larger and would require two additional radions. Would the mismatch in generations make any actual difference to the naked eye. ( I understand there might be some par difference and diffused coverage.) Or is there some reason one should not add g4 to g3. Seems like it shouldn't matter at all, but worth a post.

It is becoming very hard to find good condition Gen3 Pros for sale? If anyone knows anyone who needs to get ride of any please let me know.

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
I cannot speak to Gen3/4, but I am running a Gen 1 and Gen 2 on the same tank and cannot visually tell the difference. I haven't done any scientific research or experimentation, but my corals all have good color and growth.

ReefCheif

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
Its not incredibly noticeable. The gen 4s do have an additional white and blue diode as well so there is a slight spectrum difference, but too visable
to the naked eye.

Colored Sticks

Angel Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Its not incredibly noticeable. The gen 4s do have an additional white and blue diode as well so there is a slight spectrum difference, but too visable
to the naked eye.
Did you mean not too viable? Also if you put diffusers on them I would assume it would help blend the spectrum differences?

quackenbush

Clown Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
I have a G3 and a G3 pro paired together. The pro has 4 more LEDs and is "whiter" due to 2 of the 4 LEDs being yellow if I recall correctly (blue for the other 2). I just place the pro over the "deep water"side of the tank - that's what Radion claims the pros are for anyway, deeper light penetration. I'd have to look at the par readings to see if there's a significant difference. I think there was, but the biggest thing I discovered through the par meter is that having the two lights placed to close together created a serious bright spot right between the two lights.

ReefCheif

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
I meant visable

scmountain

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
B.O.D. Member-at-Large
I run two different Gens and before calibration there was a slight difference in greens. after calibration no different. Use this image to help map what corals to put under each Gen.