Colony-does it work?

So ATM, the company on Tanked, after getting alot of criticism about not explaining the cycle and how they do so, have been talking alot about their bacteria in a bottle product called Colony. They have both a freshwater and saltwater types. I have never personally used any products similar to this, but I figured I would give it a try.

Unfortunately my wife told me no more tanks, so I will be trying this out on my little brothers African Cichlid tank that is getting close to being ready to fill. It is a 125 gallon tank that has been cleaned and is in its permanent location. It will be filtered by a fluval 404 and magnum HOT canister filter along with two penguin 350's. I will add 20oz (the recommended dosage) into the tank, as well as the filters. I will then daily test Ammonia, Nitrite, and Nitrate using the API test kits and log the progress here.

Since it is not my tank I will have to update you later on stocking information once my brother decides.

If anyone has used this product before please let me know how everything went for you.

Smiley

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Re: Colony-does it work?

Of course it works... a little trade secret.... its the same stuff used in bacter+, bactiv8, microbacter7, and ant other bacteria cycling crap on the market. It is basically a dry bacteria that you use for septic systems but companies take it, add water, add coloring, and put it in a pretty bottle. It works great.... welcome to the fish world.

reefmaster719

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member

So your saying I can go to the store and buy some dry bacteria to cycle my tank?...

ReefCheif

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
I thought you were selling your tank?

Smiley

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member

No... the stuff you buy at the store for septic systems may have other chemicals added that are safe for septic systems but not for aquariums. What I am saying is that they all start with a base bacteria and then add stuff according to use. They might add a dye that could be dangerous for fish. They could add methylene blue, malachite green, formaldehyde, or other stuff... some can be safe for freshwater, but not salt. Some can be made for ponds but not aquariums.

reefmaster719

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member

yes everythings gone. But i picked up a 28 biocube for my next tank. Going dry rock this time. So I'm wondering where do you get the bacteria as a dry form?

ReefCheif

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
You dont, manufacturers do. What Smiley is saying is the base product is the same, however depending on the application various additives are added to the dry bacteria to make it useable in whatever your using it in.