Complete NOOB...ready for the madness (I think?!?)

ShelbyJK500

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Shamefully I've already been trolling around without a proper intro! Anyhow, I've been into freshwater and reptiles most of my life (couple of decades). I purchased my first home about 5 years ago now and it just hit me, "I don't have a single aquarium in my life?!?" That didn't make sense and the no-brainer was to get into saltwater like I had ALWAYS wanted to, but never had the time/funds/stable residence. So...here I am...with TONS of questions and that stupid/confused newbie look on my face!! :D

Just browsing around I can tell this community is awesome! I'm only hoping I can get involved and educated so I can give back. Oh, and it definitely helps that my better half is just as excited about the reefing hobby as me!! (Maybe more so) :D

I just got my 110g acrylic last week. It needs some hooking up (lights/ballasts wiring, sump (still need one), etc) if I can snap that stupid deer-in-headlights look off my face and try to figure it all out. I at least got a few start up questions answered at Elite Reef today. Love that place!

Well, in expectation of the "pics brah"...here it is.

ShelbyJK500

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Oh...and the FIRST deer-in-headlight question is....*drumroll*....should I be placing it here? I've asked several people outside the forum about putting it next to these windows and they thought it would be fine. I was concerned about the cold off the windows during winter and algae growth (unwanted) due to sunlight. I should note, there isn't direct sunlight. It is north facing/exposure so these windows never get "direct" sunlight. I will also be replacing the blinds with dark wood slat blinds that will block even more sunlight. As always ANY and ALL feedback is welcomed. :D

dvenson

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Welcome. i think that the tank will be fine there with the windows and be back being a black acrylic the sunlight should not cause any nuisance algae blooms but be weary of the sun heating it up. Since your new to the hobby have you thought about starting off with a fish only tank and once you have that mastered going to a reef? this would also help you develop a healthy ecosystem withing your tank and once you have conquered the husbandry of keeping a saltwater tank slowly start adding corals. This is just my 0.02

Wicked Color

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Hello, I would agree with Dvenson, except I am quite the opposite opinion on the fish only system, corals dont jump, dont need to be fed (necessarily), and corals can take a lickin and keep on tickin (generally), palys can be used as a water tester, when they open you are ready for more corals, and many common corals can be found on the site for cheap or free, mitigating start up cost a bit.

dv3

Beluga
M.A.S.C Club Member
welcome ...i think the tank is fine in front of the window considering the back is black
nice tank too!

120greefman

Looks fine by the window, my aquarium is right next to a window but on the north side of the house and the blinds are usually shut so sun light doesn't directly shine on my tank. Love to open the blinds in the morning though and let natural sunlight wake up my reef. Best advice I can give you is plan, plan and plan. Just don't throw something together. I also have my tank in my living room so I can enjoy it all the time, love it there. My wife hates it cause I end up tinkering with it all the time though. Just a warning.

KhensuRa

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Nice looking tank!!! The placement of your tank looks fine and adding the better blinds will help you, just in case you do have light issues. As for the cold during the winter, as long as you have a good heater or two you will be fine.

Feel free to ask as many question and never think they are dumb. I promise you we have all done them (stupid things to our tanks), some even twice. And when your ready for coral in your tank, I have some free stuff for you.

katyttt

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Welcome, great looking tank. I also recommend going with corals, and setting up a QT tank with EVERY FISH going in there for several weeks in low salinty prior to entering your Display tank (DT). Better to kill off parasites rather than dealing with them later, IMHO.

I also have some corals for you when you are ready, Free of course.

Cherub

Hey you
M.A.S.C Club Member
Welcome, really like the tank. Don't be afraid to jump in either. Plenty of good advice here and you will mess up. If you don't mess up once and a while then you aren't trying

ShelbyJK500

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Thanks to everyone for the comments on the tank! I snagged it up for the very fact it looks like a show tank and I wanted acrylic. Almost great looking as a piece of furniture by itself, have to change that though. :D

wicked demon;100077 said:
Hello, I would agree with Dvenson, except I am quite the opposite opinion on the fish only system, corals dont jump, dont need to be fed (necessarily), and corals can take a lickin and keep on tickin (generally), palys can be used as a water tester, when they open you are ready for more corals, and many common corals can be found on the site for cheap or free, mitigating start up cost a bit.
I was glad to hear this (no offense Dvenson)! I did consider a FOWLR, but didn't want to have to change the fish (I might get attached) and the setup over time. I just want to start from the beginning and do it right. I figure I'll make mistakes but have been trying to research until my eyes bleed. Overwhelming, but I'm up for the challenge. I don't want to make too many mistakes, which is another reason I'm on here with you all! :D

katyttt;100107 said:
Welcome, great looking tank. I also recommend going with corals, and setting up a QT tank with EVERY FISH going in there for several weeks in low salinty prior to entering your Display tank (DT). Better to kill off parasites rather than dealing with them later, IMHO.

I also have some corals for you when you are ready, Free of course.
I'm very interested in running a QT tank, but that'll just bring more questions on the near future. ;) I actually almost bought a 180g with a basement sump setup. Talk about an undertaking. I still think it might have been easier when all is said and done. So much space to be used in my basement to setup water changing/purifying/top offs, QT's, frag tanks. Oh well, if I begin to semi-master the hobby, that will be the next step! :D

KhensuRa;100086 said:
Nice looking tank!!! The placement of your tank looks fine and adding the better blinds will help you, just in case you do have light issues. As for the cold during the winter, as long as you have a good heater or two you will be fine.

Feel free to ask as many question and never think they are dumb. I promise you we have all done them (stupid things to our tanks), some even twice. And when your ready for coral in your tank, I have some free stuff for you.
I was very relieved to hear the consensus seems to be that the placement is fine! The black backing is thick and very nice (not sure what it is). In the picture you can see it will be overlapping two vents though. This will obviously be blowing cold air during the hottest months only and hot air during the winter. I guess this would be helpful and not harmful since that matches what I'd be trying to do with the tank temp anyhow?? Just curious on thoughts.

Thanks again for all the comments and the offers to get my coral life started up! I should've guessed my thoughts/expectations would be exceeded by this community! Awesomeness ;)

dv3

Beluga
M.A.S.C Club Member
maybe you can cut holes in the bottom of the stand or something to vent out duct work or if they are accessible in the basement you should be able to move them without to much trouble

othercents

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Nice start to your new hobby.

ShelbyJK500;100133 said:
I actually almost bought a 180g with a basement sump setup. Talk about an undertaking. I still think it might have been easier when all is said and done. So much space to be used in my basement to setup water changing/purifying/top offs, QT's, frag tanks. Oh well, if I begin to semi-master the hobby, that will be the next step! :D
It isn't too late to add the basement sump now. One of the things I have found from most every build is if you think you have just enough space for everything then you don't. Always leave plenty of space for expansion. You can always add a basement sump later to the tank, but I would recommend drilling the floor now before getting water into the tank. This way WHEN you decide to put the sump in the basement you won't have to worry about it later.

Things to consider.
1) RO/DI storage
2) ATO system
3) Salt Mix station
4) Water Change System
5) Calcium, Alkalinity, and Magnesium automation
6) Protein Skimmer
7) Skimmer waste container

The items above could be the difference between hating and loving your system. #2 is a must in Colorado. In my 40 gallon tank I top of 7 gallons a week or ~2 quarts twice a day (morning & night). #4 keeps you from having to lug water from your salt mix location to your tank every week, or mixing the water for 24 hours in front of your tank. #5 can work under your display, but that's 3 more 1 gallon containers that you need to store under your display. All of them work real nicely when you can stand over the sump and work instead of crawling down into the display. This is especially true when trying to clean out the stink from the skimmer.

BTW. Don't forget to make sure the floor will support the weight of the tank.

David

ShelbyJK500

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
othercents;100153 said:
Nice start to your new hobby.

It isn't too late to add the basement sump now. One of the things I have found from most every build is if you think you have just enough space for everything then you don't. Always leave plenty of space for expansion. You can always add a basement sump later to the tank, but I would recommend drilling the floor now before getting water into the tank. This way WHEN you decide to put the sump in the basement you won't have to worry about it later.
David,

Thanks for the detailed info and suggestions!! In hindsight, that other setup that I passed on probably would've been perfect for me not pulling my hair out in 12 months. ;) He had it setup for ATO, water change setup, refugium, live sand bed filtration (rubbermaid tubs), reactors, 4ft tall skimmer, joist jack/brace...etc. Just seemed a bit too over-the-top and overwhelming for my first shot at the hobby. Like I said though, maybe not in hindsight. :confused:

I'm not scared away by the maintenance side of reefing but like you said, I don't want to be doing water top-offs EVERY day, etc. I don't have much space in the cabinet which has caused me concern. I know the bigger the sump the better and unfortunately I can't get a very big one in there. (max width of 13.5" if it crosses the midpoint. I figured if the sump is going to be semi-small then I can put a 10 or 15g tank underneath just for an ATO. That would at least keep my top-off's in the ATO tank to once a week hopefully. Great idea on pre-drilling for future expansion should that happen. On the other hand, if I end up with a basement sump it'll be for a MUCH bigger tank. ;)

KhensuRa

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Good call on the weight. I spaced that out, we don't want another tank crashing though the floor thread.

ShelbyJK500

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
KhensuRa;100174 said:
Good call on the weight. I spaced that out, we don't want another tank crashing though the floor thread.
LOL...I didn't think it would be a "true" concern for a 110? I know the acrylic doesn't make much of a difference except for moving when empty...BUT...I figured 110's are pretty dang common (not much bigger than a 90). I figure if a couch with three 300 pound guys has to be supported by a home, it wouldn't be a stretch. ;) It's a newer home so I don't have old build or old flooring issues. Still a concern??

othercents

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
ShelbyJK500;100176 said:
It's a newer home so I don't have old build or old flooring issues. Still a concern??
Yes, houses are not built to have 1270 lbs in one location. Add a 29G sump (30" x 12" x 18") for another 330lbs and you just stacked 5 300lbs guys on an area as big as a love-seat. That doesn't include the dry weight of the tank or cabinet.