Complete NOOB...ready for the madness (I think?!?)

othercents

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
ShelbyJK500;100172 said:
On the other hand, if I end up with a basement sump it'll be for a MUCH bigger tank. ;)
There is no maximum size sump that you should go with. I have seen a small number of setups with larger sumps than display tanks. This is especially true when you are keeping multiple frag tanks. You can easily put a 100g sump in the basement now in preparation for your 300g display when the need arises.

For inside the display you can use a custom sump, or even a custom divided sump to maximize the area under the tank. As you add more toys (ie. carbon, gfo, calk, etc) you will need to give up more sump space. Here is a link to a custom sump that has a notch built into it, so it will fit the stand.

ShelbyJK500

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
katyttt;100107 said:
Welcome, great looking tank. I also recommend going with corals, and setting up a QT tank with EVERY FISH going in there for several weeks in low salinty prior to entering your Display tank (DT). Better to kill off parasites rather than dealing with them later, IMHO.

I also have some corals for you when you are ready, Free of course.
Thanks for the kind remarks and great advice!! Having QT' setup and possibly getting even more into the hobby (frag tanks, multiple displays, etc) kind of directed me toward the basement setup. Anyhow, I definitely plan on QT'ing everything. Thanks again!

othercents;100186 said:
There is no maximum size sump that you should go with. I have seen a small number of setups with larger sumps than display tanks. This is especially true when you are keeping multiple frag tanks. You can easily put a 100g sump in the basement now in preparation for your 300g display when the need arises.

For inside the display you can use a custom sump, or even a custom divided sump to maximize the area under the tank. As you add more toys (ie. carbon, gfo, calk, etc) you will need to give up more sump space. Here is a link to a custom sump that has a notch built into it, so it will fit the stand.
I have researched quite a bit that gives the same advice. I guess I can just come to you all for the expert advice! ;) If I go the basement route I've already been considering a stock tank for a sump. Went to Murdoch's and found you can get a 100g stock tank for about $75 I think. Would be easy to drill and stick a bulk head on it. Was talking to Mike (hopefully I got that right, just met him for the first time) at Elite today and he was showing me his "basement build". WOW...incredible to say the least. May be the way to go for future expansion into the hobby. ;)

ShelbyJK500

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
othercents;100456 said:
BTW. I noticed Petco is selling aquariums $1 per gallon. 40 Breeders for $40 isn't that bad of a deal especially since they sell them normally for over $100. They have a limit to the tank size, so they don't sell the 100g tanks for that low of a price.
NICE...thanks for the heads up!! I'm starting to seriously consider making my own sump from a 29 long. May have to hit that up and just dive in. I didn't want to try a DIY right off the bat...oh well. Of course, this is in case I decide against the basement setup! ;)

Wicked Color

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ShelbyJK500;100487 said:
NICE...thanks for the heads up!! I'm starting to seriously consider making my own sump from a 29 long. May have to hit that up and just dive in. I didn't want to try a DIY right off the bat...oh well. Of course, this is in case I decide against the basement setup! ;)
DIY is better, I could give you some help if you want, its super easy and custom.

ShelbyJK500

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
wicked demon;100510 said:
DIY is better, I could give you some help if you want, its super easy and custom.
Right on...might have to take you up on your kind offer!! OR...it may be easy enough to do myself and then I might implore some help when I do a basement sump setup. Don't want to wear out my welcome too fast!! ;)

Cake_Boss

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
Welcome! Sweet tank, don't know about the positioning, but it looks sweet. Def listen to what the demon has to say, that man is borderline genius. Don't worry about wearing out your welcome, after pestering these guys for over a year, I'm still around.

ShelbyJK500

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
rockys_pride;100666 said:
Welcome! Sweet tank, don't know about the positioning, but it looks sweet. Def listen to what the demon has to say, that man is borderline genius. Don't worry about wearing out your welcome, after pestering these guys for over a year, I'm still around.
Haha...just in my brief time, I have obviously figured out Wicked is a "go to" guy on all things Marine!! AND, apparently a very selfless and helpful guy in this hobby! :bowing:

dv3

Beluga
M.A.S.C Club Member
ShelbyJK500;100805 said:
Haha...just in my brief time, I have obviously figured out Wicked is a "go to" guy on all things Marine!! AND, apparently a very selfless and helpful guy in this hobby! :bowing:
very true ....wish jon was still around ...that guy has a ton of knowledge too