Coral Bank

Munch

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Ok, with the rash of crashes, I'm trying to think of ways to mitigate the inherent risks of our hobby.

While I do like our DBTC program, I'm trying to think of ways to extend it. I'm not sure this is possible, but run with me a bit on it, and maybe we can figure something out.

I'm thinking of building a master list of who has a coral available to frag. Essentially, if you join this "program", you have the ability to get a frag from this list ASAP. In the event of a crash, you simply put together your shopping list of what you lost, ping the people that are also in the program, and can supply your frag. It should also apply to those would maybe didn't crash, but say lost their favorite frag of something.

I know in the event of a crash, it's nice to reach out for help, and often people do help.

The obvious question, how can this benefit everyone without people being taken advantage of? I'm not 100% sure on it. Hopefully we can formulate some process around the idea.

What do you think?

The idea of a DBTC is good, but it's super hard to track down where your frag went, and if it's even possible to get it back.

Maybe this is pie in the sky thinking, but if we could become backups for one another, the pain from a crash wouldn't be so bad?

Last edited by a moderator:

Munch

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
My other idea was to setup a massive DBTC, and send someone home with 75 frags of my zoas, and become my personal bank. Then I started thinking bigger picture.

Munch

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Ambrosio Aquatics;296579 said:
i tried something similar with a OLD freind.... got burned but im up to try it again

Yeah, the key is to set this up and manage it so nobody gets burned.

Munch

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Another idea is public bank/tanks. If we can get a few members around town to setup frag tanks, you deposit coral into it. Withdraw as needed, or allow others to withdraw.

Not sure how we handle costs? But maybe it's a monthly contribution to cover costs? I would think super minimal if spread among people?

scchase

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
B.O.D. Member-at-Large
I have ran my own personal bank for a while and have found it is difficult at best but did help me to recover about half of what I lost in my tank crash

Munch

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
And maybe we don't need centralized coral storage... It might be something as easy as a web managed inventory system of who has what available...

Thinking outloud...

Munch

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
scchase;296585 said:
I have ran my own personal bank for a while and have found it is difficult at best but did help me to recover about half of what I lost in my tank crash

Right, I thought about a personal bank for me, and it seems like Nick had issue with his as well. So how do we combat the trouble/risk? Assume we start with a list of coral you put into our hypothetical bank. Can you only take out what you put in? Or do we want to say, for every X you put in, you get your X plus another Y out?

Munch

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
The more I think about it, the more it seems like it's a massive frag swap, but just managed. Which isn't such a bad idea. If we got say 25 people in the program, in a perfect world, over time, we should have 25 tanks with 100% backups.

Munch

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Andrew_bram;296591 said:
That is thinking big

I guess it depends on our approach. Should we only be able to get back what we put in? Or does this become a way to grow our coral $$ so to speak.

Say I put 3 zoas into the bank. I can withdraw a SPS that I currently don't own. Either reducing my initial contribution by 1 or 2, or something we decide...

Trying to make it so we don't have few people that deposit, and many try to withdraw.

Munch

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Someone like Chad with tons of zoas can supply frags of zoas, but he shouldn't be a clearinghouse for those without. So we'd need to figure out a way to manage it.

xxHLTxx

Detritus
M.A.S.C Club Member
There also a monitor on what goes in to what comes out?

thus to not allow for doubles? or do we want doubles and triples of same types?

Andrew_bram

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Well withdrawal should only occur with crash or loss. However assuming some corals grow they can be fragged and distributed to people on list by random draw. That way they stay groomed. And it's spread. Hence a little bit if a buy in dollar wise.

Munch

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
PlumCrazy;296598 said:
There also a monitor on what goes in to what comes out?

thus to not allow for doubles? or do we want doubles and triples of same types?
I think we monitor what's getting exchanged. If setup properly, this could easily provide the way to formalize DBTC, and make it "fair" in a sense. So if I have ton's a Sunny D's for example. I list I have that available. If I give out 4 frags of it, that's a credit on my account, and debits on the 4 that took it. You can only take if you have a credit available? Maybe we give partial credit for multiples provided? Not sure...

Ambrosio Aquatics

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
i say keep it simple. you can only withdraw what you put in. it will help keep everything as equal as possible. if you do the 2p for 1 sps than values are involved and that's when people get greedy/selfish