Coral Bank

Munch

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Depends on our direction... I get tons of ideas, whether they develop into anything real is a whole other thing :)

This could fizzle out as fast as it started, hopefully not though. I see a real problem that this could help solve.

Munch

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Balz3352;296652 said:
Perhaps you could credit debit people by average asking price pp on eBay or something
Ya, someone mentioned how do you value things. Something to be determined. I like the idea only 3 frags can be in the bank, so it's not flooded with corals people don't want. Then the default is, you can only withdraw they same frag you deposit. Another option is, if you deposit 3 frags, you can withdraw 1 frag you don't own, but then lose credit on the 3 you deposited, you're still on the hook for delivering. This gets tricky... but would like to be able to grow your collection, if you have the ability to contribute more to the bank.

Munch

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
The idea of growing collections is appealing to me, if nobody else has your frag, it doesn't make sense to bank it, unless you have the ability to essentially trade thru the bank.

Maybe items traded thru the bank become auto banked by the person receiving it, meaning they must deposit it back into the bank, when fragable...

Last edited by a moderator:

Munch

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I envision a web site, I log in, inventory my collections. Ones I can frag, I select and make them "available". The site then manages which ones get fragged when needed, keeps track of inventory of available frags. It'll track when you deposit a frag and withdraw. Statistics can be generated, monitored, etc...

Andrew_bram

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I don't think you should lose credit because then what is the point of putting in. As it grows and there are extra frags then spelt was them out. So let say I give a piece of red dragon. I always have a piece ready for me. But say it gets big enough to frag then it's given out and there is a credit for something maybe I don't have. So say for every two or three frags that are grown out I can get a piece of next thing that's ready

clowninaround7474

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Great ideas so far! Tagging along and I usually come up with something creative after I sleep in it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Munch

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Andrew_bram;296658 said:
I don't think you should lose credit because then what is the point of putting in. As it grows and there are extra frags then spelt was them out. So let say I give a piece of red dragon. I always have a piece ready for me. But say it gets big enough to frag then it's given out and there is a credit for something maybe I don't have. So say for every two or three frags that are grown out I can get a piece of next thing that's ready
Yeah, I'm just trying to make sure someone doesn't "deposit" 20 frags of GSP, and then try to trade out for Electric Oompa Loompas. Bottomline you shouldn't be able to stuff a tank for contributing crap, this would defeat the purpose of the idea.

My point of putting something in, and using your credit to take something else keeps the abuse away.

Just need to decide what works and makes sense.

Munch

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Personally, I'd like to have all my stuff available to the bank, and someone have had picked it up, so it's actually in someone elses tank, and possibly available for me to get back if needed. That's the Crux of all this.

Otherwise if we all say I have frags available, but never exchange hands, if my system crashes, I take down any frag I "said" were available. Not good.

Munch

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Andrew_bram;296662 said:
Make a list of catagories. It doesn't matter how it's broke down as long as it's posted and people know ahead of time I think
Yup, I'll work on these ideas, get them drafted at some point... Using this as a group brainstorming session..

Munch

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
After thinking some more, it's almost imperative we have a debit/credit system. Otherwise frags would never trade hands. If you can't get something before you give, then you're stuck, not ever being able to start.

I'll work on a more detailed scenario over the next few days....

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
tagging along, curious to see what you come with

ReefCheif

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
I like the idea ALOT!! With my recent crash I only wish I would have had more corals out in the community or somewhere where frags were just sitting. I would donate one of everything i have (which isnt much right now unfortunatly) knowing that if something ever happened Id have a good chance of getting it back.

Would take alot of work to set something like this up and make it actually work though, but you guys have some great ideas flying.

clowninaround7474

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
I think the idea is amazing, but the reality of putting this together is a challenge. I think it should be treated exactly how a bank or credit union is operated. A deposit is made for a certain value... That deposit is always tracked and kept available in the event of a full withdraw. However, transfers can be made between accounts and members... But only at the agreement/request of the seller or both. Additional frags "interest" is earned the longer the deposit Is in the account and can either be traded or claimed upon withdraw. There can be "tellers" who can track the deposits, withdraws, transfers, etc. and provide a monthly or quarterly statement of some sort.

One of my concerns is who is responsible in the event of a crash, pest infestation, etc, of the bank itself? If a vendor houses the corals, how are we going to make it worth their time to do so? Who is going to fund the cost of setup, water changes etc? Maybe this can come from sale of the "interest" or grow out... But never sale of the original deposit. Kind of like a gold standard; keep enough supply on hand to cover each members investment.

I'm snowballing here... Just thinking out loud.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CRW Reef

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
WalkPrazz;296755 said:
Haha! It sounds like coral insurance to me. Cool idea, seems really problematic. Tagging along!
Oh oh there you go, coral insurance great idea!!!! I knew the Bernie Madoff thing would make its way in here some how :idea:

ZOA FREAK
Now Selling Coral Insurance - PM for info
:money:

Jeremiah

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
If only the guy with the 20K gallon tank was local, I'm sure he would volunteer his tank for us to have seeded it with everything.