Coral dip?

How do you all dip your corals? I am going to pick some up from a friend in a couple days and his tank has lots of aptasia and flatworms.. I'm sure it has other stuff too. So what should I do to prevent these nasty guys from getting into my tank?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free

CRW Reef

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
+1 and honestly unless you plan to QT the Corals in a separate tank.....Imo I wouldn't even mess with it because Murphy's Law no matter what you do, one of the two pests will end up in your tank and become an endless battle.

fishguy69

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Use a coral specific dip and try to have a small quarantine tank for them afterwards. Just in case you don't kill everything the first time.

Vince
GWA

Shaunv

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
Use coral rx dip and blast the corals with a turkey baster to help blow everything off. Then place in a qt tank to make sure you got everything.

I dip everything and still noticed flatworms a few days ago. I sucked them out and blew them off the rocks. My clownfish then ate the ones I blew off the rock. :)

mathewkofalk

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
For coral rx is there a better mixing guide than 30 drops per gallon like has any one figured per cup of tank water ...I never use a gallon to dip and I always just guess it on coral rx.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

djkms

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Dont confuse Coral RX with Coral RX Pro:
Directions
Dosage per gallon of dip
Coral Rx: 20ml or 4 capfuls
Coral Rx Pro: 30 drops
Coral Rx Industrial: 10 drops

deboy69

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
djkms;273049 said:
Dont confuse Coral RX with Coral RX Pro:
Directions
Dosage per gallon of dip
Coral Rx: 20ml or 4 capfuls
Coral Rx Pro: 30 drops
Coral Rx Industrial: 10 drops
Great point. mine was for coral RX pro

KCCO

DyM

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
Qt, is the safest way to go. I had that whole issue with AEFWs because I dipped, and rarely qt'ed. I just set up a qt from a trade and plan to qt for 3 weeks, dipping weekly. I for one sure learned my lesson.

Munch

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
So in your case, with a QT tank, did you see pests after 3 weeks? Of if it's clear of pests you go into your tank?

djkms

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Also,

I am with Khalis; I use 1ml per full specimen cup but that is technically more than the directions (I know I know, I said 1ml per cup at the meeting!).

1 Gallon is 3785ml
Directions, 20ml per gallon and the pee cups are 100ml so the math would be:
20/3785=.005*100=.52ml per 100ml cup

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Good point on the standard vs pro and industrial dosing, thanks Kris

I've never had an issue doubling the dose of Coral Rx either...in fact I usually see pods still scurrying around with their recommended dose. Doubling it up seemed to do a good job of knocking stuff off and leaving them motionless.