coral dips, which is best???

Haulin Oates

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
B-Rizzle0279;279233 said:
I'm a novice reefer, and the only reason I'm asking for the answers is cause 1. I'm inexperienced. 2. That's the first time I've heard that recommended. All I'm trying to get is a legitimate reason to actually use it. I work hard for my earnings to put into my corals and fish and don't want to lose it all over a small slip up. I'm a concerned reefer when it comes to some of the advanced hobbyist tricks and tips. I mean I know you all have experience, just worries me
I thought the same thing as you when I was told about it, but we actually had a demonstration at a club meeting by smiley. Smiley is employed at great white aquatics. To my knowledge this is what they use for the coral they sell. I'm sure If you ask him he can elaborate on his experiences. I've used it for the last year and its worked great, even killing monti eating nudis.
As to BRS and others not selling it; it's not labled for reef use, nor is that what it's intended for, so I'm sure there are legal issues if something were to happen, but also, their in business to make money! Same reason they don't sell baking soda, picking lime, or Dow flake!

sethsolomon

Hammerhead Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Blazinjack;279238 said:
I thought the same thing as you when I was told about it, but we actually had a demonstration at a club meeting by smiley. Smiley is employed at great white aquatics. To my knowledge this is what they use for the coral they sell. I'm sure If you ask him he can elaborate on his experiences. I've used it for the last year and its worked great, even killing monti eating nudis.
As to BRS and others not selling it; it's not labled for reef use, nor is that what it's intended for, so I'm sure there are legal issues if something were to happen, but also, their in business to make money! Same reason they don't sell baking soda, picking lime, or Dow flake!

BRS does sell baking soda :p Its there sodium bicarb

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Their Kalk is pickling lime and their Calcium Carbonate is Prestone Driveway Heat.

I forgot to mention that if you just want to kill worms, then you can make a solution out of Levasole (a pig/cattle dewormer), which is what Flatworm Exit is. It will kill flatworms, bristle worms and any other type in a dip.

kutcha

Anthias
M.A.S.C Club Member
as i stated before IMO bayer is great stuff but for jsut use from getting from a fellow reefer i wouldnt use it i use seachem or corlarx coral dip with all my corlas if i see that some type of bug or parasite has infultrated my aquarium it is at that point that i would set up a hospital tank dip every one of my corals with bayer not once not twice but three times over a three week period after three weeks inspect for bugs/parasites and then finally put them back into the display tank like i said IMO bayer is great i jsut dont feel it is needed for a preventive more for a solution to a actual break out

Bajamike;279236 said:
Sounded as much like sarcasm as saying, l have some tee tree oil soap and shampoo. Same active ingredients as rps all out and coralrx I should just use those? so if it was not your intent then I apologize.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk
And I apologize for coming off the way I did. Im just trying to be very thorough with everything in the reefing. It just made me kinda feel skeptical about it when it was kind of a "Just use bayer, it works" answer. Everything I have learned throughout the last year has been through BRS videos, Julian Sprung's books and what not. So ive gotten use to the very thorough answers Ive received through these others. And was hoping for a little more of how its ok to use it. and how the chemicals are safe for the corals, etc. And once again, I do apologize for coming off as insulting you guys. I do look up to all the advanced reefers here and what I can learn from them.

Thanks everyone for all the replies. I really appreciate and gives me a broader view of coral dipping as well as using what for what reason. Thanks a bunch everyone! This will definitely help me understand what to do if something happens like that. And gives me a sense of direction ahead of when the issue could occur. I have books, but im not gonna lie, I have a hard time reading every last little bit. I always did things the old fashion way of trial and error. But when it comes to my salt water friends, Im not gonna do that. figured thats what this part of the forum is for. To ask questions and hear different responses from those who have had these experiences and what actions they took to get the best solution

Andrew_bram

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
B-Rizzle0279;279278 said:
Thanks everyone for all the replies. I really appreciate and gives me a broader view of coral dipping as well as using what for what reason. Thanks a bunch everyone! This will definitely help me understand what to do if something happens like that. And gives me a sense of direction ahead of when the issue could occur. I have books, but im not gonna lie, I have a hard time reading every last little bit. I always did things the old fashion way of trial and error. But when it comes to my salt water friends, Im not gonna do that. figured thats what this part of the forum is for. To ask questions and hear different responses from those who have had these experiences and what actions they took to get the best solution
Where are you located I am sure someone near you uses bayer. I know I do so if your in Loveland Fort Collins area I would be glad to demonstrate how I use it. I know bajamike and a number of others use it and it's cheap last forever.

FinsUp

According to my watch, the time is now.
M.A.S.C Club Member
I had much the same reaction when they told me to use Bayer, but then I realized how much experience everyone had that was telling me that, and decided to give it a try. I've found it to be extremely effective, simple, and basically foolproof. It doesn't cost NEARLY as much as the other dips marketed specifically for reef tanks, and I don't have to measure it out carefully. A healthy dollop in a half gallon of water kills the pests. One thing I will say is rinse your dipped frags multiple times in fresh saltwater (or tank water in buckets), making sure you get as much of the Bayer off the coral and rock as you can. My other caution is corollary to that - try not to dip all of your live rock at the same time unless it's absolutely necessary to deal with a massive infestation of something, because the dip will kill your pods and it's tough to get every ounce of the dip out of the rocks. Tiny doses in your tank won't cause problems, but too much will mess with your inverts and fish.

Smiley

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
i like bayer advanced insect killer complete..... however..... be very careful to swish the coral around in it at the end of your dip to help knock off anything that tries to cling to your coral... also be mindful on rinsing your corals very well before putting them back in your tank...as well as run carbon to help remove any residual that may get in your tank. I am also very careful with the product around my pets and children as the warnings on it kinda scare me.

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
I rinse my frags under the tap after dipping. If they cannot handle that, then I guess that I don't want them. :) Seriously, I have never lost one this way and it is really safe on the tank, which is my main goal.

Andrew_bram

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
jda123;279309 said:
I rinse my frags under the tap after dipping. If they cannot handle that, then I guess that I don't want them. :) Seriously, I have never lost one this way and it is really safe on the tank, which is my main goal.
Can sps tolerate that.

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
jda123;279309 said:
Seriously?

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
I dip them in bayer for the regular time. When I am done, I rinse them for a few seconds under the tap and put them in my tank.